Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, and I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you for qualifying purchases as a participant in the Amazon Associates program.
I’ve been making this taco casserole since my kids were just little sprouts. Extra cheesy taco casserole is not only kid-friendly but also Mom-friendly! A few simple ingredients combine into a flavorful casserole that can also be prepared in advance. It has been adapted from Jim Zumbo’s cookbook, Amazing Venison Recipes.
Of course, taco’s are not flat but this is a great crowd-pleasing and kid-pleasing ground beef casserole that is a cinch to throw together! This is also a great dish for an office potluck or get together! Let’s get cooking our extra cheesy taco casserole!
Start by chopping one large onion, and adding to a fry pan on medium heat. Add to this your garlic, and saute until fragrant. This is usually about two minutes, but be careful not to overcook it will smell and taste bitter.
Put three pounds of ground beef in the skillet. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and creole seasoning to taste. Brown the meat until no longer pink in the middle. Cook for a few minutes.
Add salsa, chili powder, chopped olives, and a pinch of sugar. Cook for about ten minutes. Cut your tortilla’s in to quarters.
Layer in a 9 x 13 baking dish in the following order…ground beef mixture…
Tortilla’s, and repeat until finished…
Once you have the final layer on top, add water so the tortilla’s do not dry out, and top with more cheese. Yes, even more cheesy goodness for this extra cheesy taco casserole! Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven, covered for thirty minutes. Uncover at the thirty minute mark, and bake uncovered for an additional ten minutes. Once done, serve immediately. May be garnished with sour cream. Serves 8 – 10 people. Cover in an airtight container for up to one week.
Extra Cheesy Taco Casserole
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, seasoned salt to taste
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 4.5 ounces chopped olives
- 1 package tortilla's torn into quarters
- 3 cups colby jack cheese
- 24 ounces salsa mild
- 1 pinch sugar
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Chop onion add to a preheated fry pan over medium heat, and saute until softened. Add garlic, and cook until fragrant.
- Add ground beef to pan and season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and seasoned salt. Cook until no longer pink.
- Add chili powder, salsa, olives, and sugar. Cook for about ten minutes.
- Layer in a 9 x 13 baking pan in the following order: ground beef mixture, cheese, and tortilla. Repeat until done.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, and then uncover to bake an additional ten minutes.
Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.