Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, and I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you for qualifying purchases as a participant in the Amazon Associates program.
One summer a few years ago I started making these Extra jalapeno Poppers, and seriously could not get enough of them. I think I made these every weekend that first summer, and have enjoyed them immensely ever since then.
Soften your cream cheese on the counter.
Next combine the softened cream cheese, and two links of chorizo in a small bowl. The chorizo I’m talking about is not the fancy kind, but the kind that comes in the plastic casings. They can usually be found in the same cold case as the bacon at the grocery store. Chill while you prep the jalapeno’s.
You will want to pick up no less than 10 but up to 14 green jalapeno’s, but if you want poppers that are spicier pick up the red ones when you have the opportunity. Cut the jalapeno’s in half, and remove the seeds plus the membrane.
*Note: Just a word of warning when working with jalapeno’s be sure to keep your hands away from your face. Once done wash your hands twice in the hottest water you can stand with dish soap in order to remove any capsaicin from your hands.
Fill each jalapeno half with a spoonful or so of the cream cheese mixture until its level with the top.
Wrap each filled jalapeno half with bacon. I usually wrap small ones in half pieces and larger ones in whole slice of bacon.
Secure the bacon in place with a toothpick.
Continue doing this until all of the Extra Jalapeno Poppers are complete.
These can be cooked on the grill, smoker, or in the oven. My favorite is in the smoker because they just seem to have a little more extra bit of flavor depth. Either way you choose they turn out pretty great.
On the grill: Preheat grill to 350-degrees, keep one or two burners on, and cook on indirect heat on top shelf. You can add a smoker box to add some smoky flavor to them if you like. Cook for about thirty minutes or until the bacon is done.
On the smoker: Preheat smoker to 225-degrees, and cook in the smoker for about thirty minutes or until the bacon is done.
In the oven: Preheat oven to 350-degrees, cook for about thirty minutes or until the bacon is done.
These are best served immediately, and they don’t usually last long enough for leftovers. However, any survivors can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Extra Jalapeno Poppers
- 10-14 whole jalapeno's
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 links chorizo
- 1 pound bacon
- Soften cream cheese, and mix with chorizo. Place in refrigerator to chill.
- Cut jalapeno's in half. Remove seeds and membrane.
- Fill each jalapeno half with the cream cheese mixture.
- Wrap each jalapeno popper with bacon, and secure in place with toothpick.
- Preheat smoker to 225-degrees, and place jalapeno poppers in smoker for about thirty minutes or until bacon is cooked.
- Preheat grill to 350-degrees. Leave one or two burners on, and place jalapeno poppers on top shelf for indirect cooking. Cook about thirty minutes or until bacon is done. If desired add a smoker box over direct heat to add a smoky flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Place jalapeno poppers on baking sheet, and cook for about thirty minutes or until bacon is done.
Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.