Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, and I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you for qualifying purchases as a participant in the Amazon Associates program.
Mashed potatoes are a common side dish that is often prepared every week in most homes. If you are a meat and potatoes household or it’s a once week cheat to tame your carb craving these can be deceptively difficult to make! Sometimes you get those potatoes that just don’t seem to want to cook no matter how much you boil them to death on the stove, or maybe you lose track of time then they dissolve completely! Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes turn out perfect each time!
They are easy, there is no need to babysit, and they come out perfect each time! Plus, these pair perfectly with my Instant Pot Salisbury Steak!
Choose your potato type:
I generally will use Yukon Gold potatoes for my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes as they are a good all-purpose potato that is very functional for multiple types of dishes that use potatoes. Russet potatoes can be used as they are low in moisture, high in starch, and very absorbent (soaking in all that buttery goodness!) Waxy potatoes like Red or White are low in starch, high in sugar and moisture, and hold their shape after cooking (perfect for potato salad or gratin’s) .
Prep you potatoes:
Start by peeling and cubing 2 1/2 – 5 pounds of potatoes then placing into a steamer basket. I generally will use 5 pounds, and then use the leftovers for other recipes like Potato Cakes or Salmon Patties. Try to keep the cubes all about the same size of volume as this always helps to cook evenly. This is a good rule of thumb when you are cutting up stew vegetables as well for other recipes.
Put 1 1/2 cups of water into the liner of the Instant Pot, and then place the steamer basket with the peeled and cubed potatoes into the Instant Pot. For reference, I use a 6-quart pressure cooker for my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
Cook and season the potatoes:
Close and seal the lid of the pressure cooker according to your manufacturer’s directions. Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes, and then follow with a 10-minute natural pressure release. Remove the strainer basket, and dump out the water in the pressure cooker. Add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup unsalted butter to the Instant Pot, and turn to the saute function until melted.
If desired, add 1 teaspoon of minced garlic to the pan then saute for 30 seconds. Turn off the saute function, then add the cooked potatoes to the butter garlic mixture, and mash. You can also, add the potatoes and garlic-butter mixture to another serving dish in order to mash. Add salt and pepper to taste, and either milk or chicken broth to smooth once mashed. Another option, is to stir in some of your favorite herbs to add a little kick of flavor! Serve immediately, or store an airtight container for up to one week.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds potatoes peeled, and cubed
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk or enough to make the potatoes a creamy consistency
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs chopped
- Peel and cube 5 pounds of potatoes (you can cook half this amount, and then halve the remaining ingredients.
- Put 1 1/2 cups of water in the Instant Pot, and place the potatoes inside a mesh basket into the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, and then do a natural pressure release of 10 minutes.
- Remove water from Instant Pot, set to saute function, and melt butter. If adding minced garlic then add once butter is melted to saute until fragrant or about 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes back to the Instant Pot to mash, or put everything into your serving bowl to mash. Add the milk, salt and pepper, and if desired some of your favorite chopped herbs.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week.
Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Instant Pot Accessories You Might Like