A true classic chicken parmesan dish when executed properly is a comforting and satisfying dish that will be a star of your Sunday dinner repertoire. I will tell you up front that this is time consuming to prepare, however, it is well worth it. So give yourself plenty of lead time to prepare.
You will need one recipe of Tomato Butter Onion Sauce.
One of the benefits of this dish is you get two large servings from one boneless skinless chicken breast. Take one chicken breast and cut in half vertically. Take each piece and pound out with a mallet until they are about ¼-inch thick.
*Note: They don't have to be perfectly ¼-inch thick, please be sure not to pulverize them in pursuit of it. 🙂
Next, we need to prepare our breading mixtures, and egg wash. In a shallow bowl or pan combine flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. In another bowl, prepare the egg wash. The egg wash is made by whisking your whole eggs together in a bowl - do not add milk or water to the mixture. In a third shallow bowl or pan combine the breadcrumbs and shredded cheese. For the cheese you can use either a blend of Italian cheeses or fresh grated Parmesan.
Dip the chicken in the flour, then the egg wash, and finally the breadcrumb mixture. Set aside on a platter.
Prepare some clarified butter for frying the cutlets by microwaving a stick of butter until melted, and then skimming the fats off the top. If you don't use clarified butter you will end up with a pan full of burnt butter and olive.
Preheat a frying pan to medium heat, and fry each cutlet on each side for two minutes or until golden brown. Remove to baking sheet, or 13 x 9 baking dish.
Sprinkle your Parmesan cheese or Italian blend cheese over each breaded cutlet. Spoon Tomato Butter Onion Sauce over each cutlet.
Top with a slice or two or Provolone cheese. Enough to cover the top of the cutlet.
Place in a preheated 400-degree oven for 20 minutes or until done. Serve immediately with angel hair pasta topped with fresh basil. Can be stored for up to one week in the refrigerator. Enjoy your classic chicken parmesan!
Classic Chicken Parmesan
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 eggs, whisked and beaten
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Italian 6-cheese shredded cheese, or fresh grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup Italian 6-cheese shredded cheese, or fresh grated Parmesan
- 6-8 slices Provolone cheese
- Clarified butter, and olive oil for frying
- 1 recipe Tomato Butter Onion Sauce see Basics category
- Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts in half vertically. Pound chicken breasts into about ¼-inch cutlets.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in to a shallow dish. In another bowl, whisk and beat the eggs. In a third shallow dish, mix together the breadcrumbs and ½ cup of cheese.
- Dip each cutlet in flour, then egg, and finally the breadcrumb mixture. Set aside to make clarified butter. Microwave butter until melted and then skim the fats off the top.
- Preheat a large fry pan, and fry each breaded cutlet in clarified butter and olive oil about two minutes on each side. Remove to baking pan or baking sheet.
- Top each cutlet with shredded Italian blend cheese or Parmesan, then sauce, and then sliced Provolone.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for about twenty minutes or until done.