Last Updated on July 7, 2019 by Tina
Instant Pot Quick Stir Fry Bowls are a delicious way to use ground beef, chicken, or pork. Filled with fresh vegetables, and flavor this makes a great meal prep for the week or a quick weeknight meal! This is wonderful followed up by my Instant Pot Spiced Peach Crisp served with a scoop of ice cream or Instant Pot Pineapple Upside Down Cake!
Why choose a stir fry?
Stir Frying is a cooking technique that has its origins in China that in its basic form involves frying thinly sliced meat and vegetables cut into small pieces at very high heat with a small amount of oil and seasonings. Stir fry can be served over rice, or noodles. This technique was brought to America with Chinese immigrants and is an extremely popular favorite cuisine.
A typical stir fry contains thin strips of quickly marinated meat, sliced or chopped vegetables, and seasoning that is cooked in a wok or heavy cast iron pan. The wok is ideal for cooking as ingredients can be moved around closer or further from the direct heat source as the ingredients are cooked. If you would like to learn more head over to Culinary Lore to check out an interesting article.
Prep the vegetables
My son had accidently taken out a two pound package of ground pork this past weekend by mistake. However, this can be made with ground chicken or beef as well. The recipe card is written for one pound of ground meat, but can easily be doubled using the same cooking times. I had thought of making more meatballs with it, but we've been having that! So, I decided to throw together a quick stir fry bowl for our meal prep lunches for the week. I used some leftover produce in my fridge, and bought a couple of others for a surprisingly delicious result in my Instant Pot.
First slice your green onions, mushrooms, celery, red bell pepper, carrots, and Bok Choy. Take the ginger and grate enough for two teaspoons then set aside in a small bowl for later. Of course, you can mix and match whatever vegetables you happen to have on hand to make this dish.
Pro tip: If meal planning for a weeknight you could pre-cut the vegetables and put in a bag, or buy some already pre-cut from the store to cut down on the prep time during the week after work.
Set the Instant Pot to saute then put a small amount of stir fry oil or olive oil in the pressure cooker for frying. Put the sliced green onions in the pot then cook until softened. Once softened add the minced garlic to cook for about a minute or until fragrant. Add to this the ground pork, chicken, or beef that you will be using then cook until no longer pink.
Then add the fresh ginger, soy sauce (I used reduced sodium), hot red pepper flakes, sherry vinegar, oyster sauce, Hoisin sauce, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, 5-spice powder, white pepper, black pepper, and onion powder then stir well to combine. Cook for a minute. Then add all the prepared vegetables to the pot and stir.
Seal the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes for well done veggies or 2 minutes to leave a bit of crunch in them then follow with a quick release. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to week. This dish is really good leftover as it retains it's flavor very well. 🙂
Instant Pot Quick Stir Fry
- 1 pound ground pork can use ground chicken, turkey, or beef
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated, could substitute 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce I used reduced sodium
- ¾ tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- ¼ tsp oyster sauce can substitute with fish sauce
- ¼ tsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¼ tsp 5-Spice powder
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 3 green onions sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 3 ounces snow peas
- 1 carrot, large peeled and sliced on the diagnol
- ½ red bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- ½ Bok Choy, head sliced
- Prep all the vegetables in the 'Prepped Vegetables' section as directed, and grate the fresh ginger then set aside.
- Preheat Instant Pot to saute, add a small amount of oil, and saute green onions until softened. Add minced garlic then saute until fragrant. Add the ground pork, chicken, or beef then cook until no longer pink.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients in the 'Meat Mixture' group to the pot and stir well.
- Add all remaining vegetables, and stir.
- Seal lid on pressure cooker then cook on high pressure for 3 minutes then follow with a quick release. For crunchier vegetables reduce time to 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to a week. Serve over rice, cauliflower rice, or noodles.