Last Updated on January 6, 2019 by Tina
The best things in life are simple, and flavorful! Smoked BBQ chicken wings are a delicacy worth doing for weekend dinners, meal prep, or a make ahead meal for the week that can be heated and eaten up in very little time.
These smoked BBQ chicken wings are a great addition to any neighborhood block party or office potluck!
To make Smoked BBQ chicken wings you will either need to use a smoker or a grill with a smoke box. I chose to dust my chicken wings with poultry seasoning, or they can be plain if you choose. Once I had done this I started my smoker, or if you are using your grill you will want to preheat either to 225 to 250 degrees.
Once your smoker or grill is preheated its time to load it up with the chicken. If using a smoker arrange the chicken on your top shelf.
Or, if you are using your grill you will be cooking over indirect heat. The furthest one or two burners should be on - one on high, and one on low with the smoker box over the direct heat.
Plan to cook the smoked BBQ chicken wings for about two hours or until an internal meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of one of the larger drums is 165 degrees.
Once cooked remove chicken to a plate, cover with aluminum foil, and let rest for about ten minutes prior to serving. If desired, you can toss with either BBQ sauce or a buffalo-style hot sauce. Although, these smoked BBQ chicken wings are delicious without any sauce.
Can be made ahead and refrigerated for a week. To reheat gently warm in a 300 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until warm.
Smoked BBQ Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings and drummettes
- 3-4 tablespoons poultry seasoning may substitute with salt and pepper or leave plain
- ½ cup buffalo style hot sauce
- Place wings into a bowl, and sprinkle seasoning on the meat until well dusted. Set aside
- Preheat smoker or grill to 225-250 degrees. If using a grill prepare smoker box prior to preheating, and place directly over heat source.
- Place wings on rack in a position furthest away from heat source for an indirect cook.
- Cook about two hours, or until internal temperature is 165-degrees.
- Remove chicken to a plate, cover with foil, and rest for ten minutes prior to serving. If desired, toss with buffalo style hot sauce and serve immediately.
*Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Usual Suspects