This tomato relish recipe is a great way to help use up your garden harvest this year! Use this to spruce up burgers, fish, or fish. It's really good with my Cornish Beef Pasties recipe as well.
Monday is Meatloaf is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
- Tomatoes - you need a small variety of tomato like grape, Campari, or San Marzano. You can mix and match as you like.
- Green onions - a half bunch of green onions, but you can substitute with a yellow or Vidalia onion.
- Celery - sliced thin
- Garlic - you can slice fresh garlic or use minced
- Lemon - sliced
- Hot red pepper flakes - if you like it hotter you can double this in the recipe
- Brown sugar - this can be left out if you like
- White wine - your favorite, and if you don't use wine then this can be left out
- Chicken broth - I used unsalted
Prep the vegetables, and set them aside. Preheat a large fry pan to medium heat.
Add these veggies to you pan with olive oil, and saute until softened. While these are cooking slice your tomatoes in half, and then add these to the pan. Cook for a few minutes just to start to break them down. Add salt, pepper, hot red pepper flakes, and brown sugar.
Add in the wine to deglaze the pan reduce by half. Add in the chicken broth.
Bring the pan to simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Break up your larger tomatoes if needed, and cook until the liquid is a creamy but chunky veggie consistency like in the picture below.
Alternative serving suggestions: hamburger topping, braised shrimp or fish, or add in to a casserole dish for added depth of flavor.
Tomato Relish Recipe
- 1 pint grape tomatoes can substitute with cherry, Campari, or San Marzano or a mixture of all
- ½ bunch green onions sliced
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- ½ lemon sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- ¼ tsp hot red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp brown sugar
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a fry pan to medium heat. Add the green onions, celery, and lemon slices. Saute until the onions and celery are softened. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, hot red pepper flakes, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook until broken down or about 15 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, and cook for a few minutes to reduce to half. Add in the chicken broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Note the sugar can be omitted
- If you do not want to use the wine then it can be left out. Instead use the chicken broth to deglaze the pan, and continue with the recipe.