Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, and I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you for qualifying purchases as a participant in the Amazon Associates program.
Apple pies have kind of been my Achille’s heel in the kitchen as long as I can remember. Even after following recipes and directions perfectly, or shopping for the perfect type of apple they usually turned out pretty disappointing. After many years of soggy pies or undercooked filling I finally mastered my nemesis and turned out a perfect apple pie. With a few desserts in the Instant Pot under my belt I decided I would try my luck with this Instant Pot Cinnamon Roll Apple Galette. Please don’t forget to PIN this recipe for later! 🙂
I thought I would share my first picture of a successful apple pie that I made. The picture was taken a long time ago, but I’m still quite proud of it.
To make this easy I decided to make my Instant Pot Cinnamon Roll Apple Galette with a premade pie crust dough.
Prep the pastry for the apple galette:
Melt the butter, and let cool for just a few minutes. We don’t want soggy pastry, if it’s to warm it will make it difficult to work with and will have to be chilled for a longer period of time prior to cooking.
Roll the premade pie crust pastry out on a wooden board with a light dusting of flour. Take a pastry brush to brush one side of the pie crust with butter until covered. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon onto it. If needed you can smooth the cinnamon around evenly with the pastry brush or your fingertips.
Take the pie crust and roll it into a log, and refrigerate for 10 minutes. After that cut the log into pieces of 1/3-inch but no larger than 1/2-inch pieces.
Arrange the pieces in a rough circle on a board that has a piece of parchment paper on it that is lightly dusted. Place another piece on top and roll out the crust into a circle.
Roll this into a roll and put in the fridge in parchment paper while you prepare the pie filling.
Prep the filling for the apple galette:
Take 2-3 apples then peel, core, and slice thinly. I happened to use McIntosh apples but you can use really any other kind that you would normally have on hand for eating. These would include Golden Delicious, Roma, Honey Crisp, or Red Delicious. I did not test this with Granny Smith as I find them a little tart, and usually I have the others on hand.
Combine in a medium bowl the sliced apples, dark brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch. Toss together gently until well combined then set aside.
Prepare the apple galette for cooking:
Take the prepared cinnamon roll pie crust from the refrigerator, and place into the springform pan. Add the filling to the galette by laying the coated apple slices in the prepared pastry, and then wrap the edges over the top of the apple galette.
Cooking the apple galette:
Cover the springform pan completely with foil. Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the Instant Pot, and gently lower the covered springform pan into the pot on the rack. Close and seal the lid according to your manufacturers instructions. Cook on high pressure for 38 minutes, and then perform a 10 minute natural pressure release.
Remove the springform pan from the Instant Pot, and remove the foil. The crust will look a little soggy, but don’t fret. Put in the oven, and broil for 8 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned. Remove, and cool for 5 minutes.
Drizzle with caramel and dark chocolate syrup. Add chocolate whipped topping or ice cream as desired. To make the chocolate whipped topping combine the whipped topping and a couple tablespoons of dark chocolate syrup in a bowl.
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Instant Pot Cinnamon Roll Apple Galette
- 1 refrigerated pie crust pastry
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2-3 cups apples peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup water for Instant Pot cooking only
- 2 tbsp caramel syrup for drizzling
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate syrup for drizzling
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate syrup
- Melt the butter. Roll out the pie pastry, and brush with butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Roll pastry into a log, and put in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Peel the apples and slice thinly then place in bowl. Add the dark brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch to the bowl. Stir gently to coat apples.
- Take the pie pastry out of the refrigerator, and slice the log into roughly 1/2-inch pieces. Arrange the pieces in a circle on a piece of lightly floured parchment paper, and then lay a second piece on top. Roll out the pastry in a circle.
- Take a springform pan and place the pastry inside being sure the excess goes up the sides of the pan.
- Arrange or pour the prepared apple slices into the springform pan. Take the excess pastry and fold over the edges to form the “crust”.
- Cover the springform pan with aluminum foil completely. Put 1 1/2 cups of water into the Instant Pot. Place the rack inside the Instant Pot with the covered springform pan on top. Close the lid, and cook on high pressure for 38 minutes. Once done peform a 10 minute natural pressure release according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Remove the foil, and broil in the oven for 8 minutes to brown the crust. Rest for 5 minutes prior to serving.
- Combine the whipped topping and 2 tablespoons of dark chocolate syrup together in a bowl.
- Drizzle caramel and dark chocolate syrup on the apple galette. Top with prepared whipped topping.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Usual Suspects