Instant Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls are an easy, budget-friendly dish you can get on the table in 30 minutes. A hearty dish with beef, rice, cabbage, and tomatoes.
Why this works
- Saves time - unlike its Eastern European cousin, the cabbage roll, these are deconstructed. No need to prepare each cabbage leaf and roll each one individually. If you want to, try out my recipe for Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls for the traditional version.
- Saves money - this recipe uses pantry ingredients that you already have or are easy and cheap to find at the grocery store, like my Instant Pot Ground Beef and Rice or my Cajun Dirty Rice.
- One-pot comfort food - a filling meal you're family will love conveniently made in one pot for easy clean-up!
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card, where you'll find exact measurements.
- Ground beef - to cut down on the grease, use an 80/20 or 90/10 mixture.
- Cabbage - you can use green or red cabbage for this recipe. Both will taste the same.
- Rice - be sure to rinse your rice well and leave it uncooked.
How to make unstuffed cabbage rolls
Heat the Instant Pot to saute. Add a small amount of olive oil and the diced onions. Saute until soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant or about 30 seconds.
Add the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Tony Caceri's Creole seasoning. Break up the beef and cook until no longer pink. Once the ground beef is cooked, drain off the grease, then return to the pot.
Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, and Worcestershire sauce to the cooked, then stir. Add the chopped or shredded cabbage and stir everything together.
Layer the rice on top of the beef and cabbage mixture. Pour the beef broth over the top, and DO NOT STIR.
Next, layer the diced tomatoes on top of the rice, and sprinkle the optional sugar over the tomatoes. DO NOT STIR.
Put the lid on the Instant Pot, cook on high pressure for 4 minutes, then follow with a quick release.
When preparing the cabbage for these be sure not to shred or chop the cabbage too small. If the pieces are two small, they may dissolve during cooking.
Make sure to layer the ingredients in this recipe just like it says, or you may get a BURN notice. Stirring the tomatoes is usually the most likely culprit of a burn notice with this recipe.
Most types of rice will cook in the time for this recipe. I used jasmine rice. If your rice is a little undercooked, it can be finished on saute mode for a few minutes. It may be necessary to add a little water or additional broth.
Unstuffed cabbage rolls are traditional cabbage rolls that are deconstructed into a stew to make preparation quicker but still have the same taste as one of your favorite comfort foods.
Serve these delicious unstuffed cabbage rolls with a crusty slice of French bread or a nice salad. Top with sour cream for an extra special treat. Follow up with a sweet dessert like peanut butter fudge.
Storage & reheating
Store in an airtight container for up to one week in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave for a couple of minutes before serving. This can be frozen for up to three months and thawed in the refrigerator before reheating.
How to video
More one-pot recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 head cabbage chopped or shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons pepper
- ½ Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3-5 drops fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Tony Caceri's Creole Seasoning or seasoned salt
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 cup jasmine rice rinsed, and uncooked
- 1 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- ½ teaspoon sugar optional, will help cut down acidity of the tomatoes
- Preheat the Instant Pot to saute. Add some olive oil to the pot with the onions. Saute until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant or about 30 seconds.
- Add in the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Tony Caceri's seasoning then cook unti no longer pink. Drain the excess grease from the meat and return to the pot.
- Stir in the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and fish sauce. Stir in the chopped or shredded cabbage.
- Layer the uncooked rice on top of the beef. Pour in the beef broth.
- Layer the tomatoes on top, and sprinkle with the optional sugar. DO NOT STIR.
- Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes followed by a quick release.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. This can be frozen for up to three months.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!