Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles is total comfort food that is a one-pot meal that can be done quickly on a weeknight. A creamy chicken dish you can make in your electric pressure cooker in a fraction of the time to make dinner easy tonight!
Why this works
- Crowd-pleasing - the whole family will love this easy meal with shredded chicken in a creamy broth that has a delicious flavor. Chicken dinners are always the best!
- Easy dinner - it doesn't get any simpler than this chicken dinner for a busy weeknight. Just as easy as my ground beef and rice recipe.
- Less time - save your time in the kitchen with these comforting chicken noodles for dinner tonight. The basic ingredients in this Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles recipe can be found easily at the store or in your pantry like my Swedish meatball recipe.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Chicken - I use a couple of boneless skinless chicken breasts for this noodle recipe. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs as well with the same pressure cook time. Both will yield amazing tender chicken.
- Egg noodles - I like to use Reames noodles for this recipe. These are thick egg noodles you can find at your local grocery store that help make this such a hearty meal.
- Garlic - you can use fresh minced garlic or substitute it with garlic powder.
- Butter - unsalted is best then everyone can salt their dish to their liking.
- Cream of chicken soup - of course, chicken is what makes this perfect comfort food but you can also use cream of mushroom soup as well.
How to make this
Step 1: Cooking the chicken
Turn on the saute setting on the Instant Pot. Add the stick of butter and allow it to melt. Add in the minced garlic and saute until fragrant or about 30 seconds. Once done turn off the saute function.
Add the chicken breasts, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, black pepper, poultry seasoning, onion powder, and salt. Put the lid of the Instant Pot into a sealed position. Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes followed by a 10-minute natural pressure release.
Step 2: Cooking the noodles and creamy sauce
Remove the pressure cooker chicken to a cutting board. Leave the liquid in the pot. Allow the chicken to cool for a little bit of time, and then shred while the frozen noodles are cooking.
Put the frozen uncooked egg noodles into the pressure cooker. Cook the egg noodles for 6 minutes followed by a quick release.
Note: Make sure to do a controlled quick release to prevent pasta water from spraying out from the vent. Release the pressure in short bursts.
Once the pressure has released from the pot remove the lid. Stir the shredded chicken into the cooked noodles. Add the frozen mixed vegetables, and stir in the fresh parsley as well. These will thaw from the residual heat of the pressure cooker. If not then turn on saute to finish cooking.
One of my favorite things about this easy recipe is the ability to adapt to what you have or what you like and still get a chicken casserole with amazing flavor.
If you want it to be thicker combine equal parts cornstarch and water to make a cornstarch slurry to thicken the dish. Likewise, if you want it thinner just add additional chicken stock or water.
You can also use leftover rotisserie chicken for this recipe as well. Skip the part where we cook the chicken and just cook the ingredients with the noodles. Add everything else in afterward according to my directions.
If you want to use dry uncooked egg noodles then you can substitute those as well. Be sure to cook for half the minimum time on the package less than one minute.
Yes, just be sure to season each one properly prior to stacking. If not they may end up unevenly seasoned.
You can safely store chicken in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Storage & reheating
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. This dish can be frozen for up to three months, and thawed in the refrigerator prior to reheating.
More dinner recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Chicken and Noodles
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts can use boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup butter unsalted
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup can use cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or dried
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 24-ounce bag Reames frozen egg noodles can substitute with dry egg noodles with time adjustment
Equipment You Might Need
- Turn on the saute function. Add the stick of butter to the pot, and allow to melt. Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant or about thirty seconds. Turn off the saute function.
- Add the chicken, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, black pepper, and salt.
- Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes with a 10-minute natural pressure release. Remove the chicken, and leave the liquid in the pot. Shred the chicken and set it aside while the noodles are cooking.
- Add the frozen noodles to the pot. Cook for 6 minutes on high pressure followed by a controlled quick release.
- A controlled quick release means you will release the pressure in short bursts to prevent pasta water from spraying out the vent.
- Stir the shredded chicken into the noodle mixture. Add in the frozen mixed vegetables and fresh parsley in.
- Serve immediately, or store for up to one week in an airtight container. This can be frozen for up to three months, and thaw in the fridge prior to reheating.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!