Last Updated on January 6, 2019 by Tina
I took my cooking show on the road this past week! I made a special birthday dinner for a cherished family member. Of course, it was a great day filled with swimming to take advantage of the last warm days of summer before fall came into full swing. We had a great opportunity to catch up on family news! So, I decided to make my Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms to nosh on as we waited for the main course.
One of the great things about this recipe is that the major components can be done ahead of time.
Of course, this really made it easy for me to meal prep the night before to focus on the visit the next day. These are a great appetizer to include as part of a big holiday meal or family gathering where you may have people over for the day. It can make a light lunch that will help guests get over the hump without ruining dinner. Let’s get started! Or if you don’t have time to make this now save it for later on Pinterest!
Prep the mushrooms:
First, find some nice stuffing mushrooms. Remove the stems. Scrape out the dark gills on the inside of the mushroom cap with a small spoon. This step can be done ahead of time. Once completed store in a plastic bag or airtight container.
Make the filling:
Next, preheat a pan on the stove to medium heat. Add some olive oil to saute the ground Italian sausage. I used mild, but you could use sweet or hot as well.f Once the sausage has cooked about halfway add the sliced green onions and minced garlic then cook until done.
Add in the spinach, and let it wilt. Add the cooked herb stuffing, and cheeses. Stir until combined well and melted. This can be stored in an airtight container if prepping ahead. Or….you can eat the Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms right now! 🙂
Stuffing the mushrooms:
Next, take the filling, and stuff your prepped mushrooms. I like to pile them high. Visually they look great, and they are very filling. You could easily make this for a quick weeknight dinner, and serve with a large green salad.
Baking the mushrooms:
Now, arrange the Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 20-23 minutes or until the stuffing has a nice crust or are a little bit browned. If you made this ahead, cook for a few extra minutes to make sure the cold filling is warmed up. No one likes cold stuffed mushrooms! These make great game-day snacks too!
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 14-16 large stuffing mushrooms stems and gills removed
- 1 6-ounce herb or chicken flavored stuffing mix cooked according to box directions
- 1 lb Italian sausage regular, sweet, or hot (taste dependent)
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 4 ounces spinach fresh
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Prep mushrooms by removing the stems, and scraping out dark brown gills with a small spoon. Set aside. If preparing in advance, store in a plastic bag or airtight container.
- Heat a pan on medium heat, add Italian sausage to brown. Once halfway browned add sliced green onions and minced garlic. Cook until done. Add spinach, and allow to wilt.
- Add cooked stuffing, and cheeses. Combine well, and cook until cheese is completely melted. Set aside to cool for a few minutes. If prepping ahead, this can be stored in an airtight container.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Stuff the mushrooms, and arrange on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-23 minutes. If you have prepped ahead allow for a few minutes of cooking time if your filling is not room temperature.
- Once done serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.