Bacon Brussel Sprouts are a simple appetizer that will be a hit with your guests or family at any gathering! Roasted Brussel sprouts wrapped in bacon that are seasoned with some sweet honey but deliver a kick with some hot red pepper flakes!
How to pick out delicous Brussel sprouts
Look for sprouts that are bright green and firm with tightly packed leaves. Avoid ones that are yellowing or have black spots. If you are lucky enough to purchase them on the stalk keep them on there until you are ready to cook then cut them off.
To prepare them for cooking trim the ends slightly, and remove any leaves that happen to be loose.
- Brussel Sprouts - they should be fresh from your produce department. About 30 sprouts will use up one pound of bacon.
- Bacon - one pound of bacon, the thinner type. If you use thick cut bacon it will extend the cooking time, and possibly cause the sprouts to be overcooked.
- Honey - your favorite will be just fine.
- Hot red pepper flakes - this gives them a little kick but isn't overpowering.
- Salt and pepper - to taste.
- Toothpicks - for securing the bacon, and also it makes it convenient for serving. You can make them sans toothpicks if you like.
Combine the honey, hot red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Cut the bacon strips in half if you have a bunch of sprouts. Preheat the oven to 425-degrees.
Lay out a strip of bacon, and spread some honey mixture on top. Roll the prepped Brussel Sprout in the bacon, and secure with a toothpick.
How to serve as an appetizer or side dish
I served these with Siracha mayo sauce which is just ½ cup of mayo with Siracha to taste. If you're serving as a side dish plain is just fine.
Bacon Brussel Sprouts
- 1 pound bacon
- 36 Brussel sprouts
- ½ tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp honey
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Trim and clean Brussel Sprouts,
- Combine honey, hot red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in small bowl.
- Lay bacon on cutting board, and brush with honey mixture. Wrap each Brussel Sprout in bacon, secure with toothpick. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for 30 minutes or until bacon is done to your liking.