Instant Pot Artichokes are easy and quick to make! Delicious and so much better in the pressure cooker.
How to choose & store artichokes
A good fresh artichoke will feel firm, and it will be heavy. A baby artichoke would be the exception to this rule. The leaves of your artichoke should be tight and dense. Avoid artichokes with leaves that are dry, cracking, or loose.
You'll want to avoid washing them until you are ready to use them. Excess moisture can make them spoil faster. If you have to store them prior to using them sprinkle the stems only with water to keep them hydrated. Put in a plastic bag in the refrigerator until you're ready to use them. They can be store up to one week.
- Artichokes - two or three artichokes. I used a 6-quart Instant Pot Duo, and could only fit in three at a time.
- Olive oil and butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic - minced, and this is optional
- Lemon juice - not pictured but can be brushed on the leaves once trimmed to keep them from browning
Preparation & Cooking Instructions
To start cut off the stem of the artichoke close to the base. Cut about a ¼-inch or so from the top of vegetable. Trim the tips off all the leaves on the artichoke. Brush with lemon juice if not cooking straight away.
Pour the minimum amount of water in your Instant Pot, and insert the rack. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and then top with minced garlic and butter if using.
Cook on high pressure (normal) for 20 minutes, and follow with a quick release. If you vegetables are very large then increase the time to 30 minutes.
Once cooked you will want to remove the hairy inside of the plant prior to serving. To do this just cut around stem and pull out all of the hairy stringy insides.
How to make it!
Instant Pot Artichokes
- 3 artichokes stem removed, top and leaves trimmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp butter I used unsalted
- lemon juice if needed to keep from browning
- Prepare the artichokes by removing the stems. Cut off about ¼-inch off the top of the artichoke. Trim the leaves on the whole vegetable. Brush with lemon juice if not using right away.
- Add at least one cup of water to the Instant Pot, and the rack. Place the artichokes inside. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and then top with a pat of butter plus a spoonful of minced garlic.
- Cook on high pressure (normal) for 20 minutes (30 minutes for large artichokes) then follow with a quick release.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to three days.