One of the best traditions of summer are tender juicy ears of corn on the cob hot out of the pot, and dripping with butter with a sprinkling of salt! Instant Pot Corn on the Cob is a quick and easy way to make this simple classic BBQ side dish.
How to choose an ear of corn
You'll want to look for bright green and tightly wrapped husks with yellow or light brown tassels. Avoid yellowish looking husks, or husks that look dried out. Check the husk for small dark brown holes, and avoid these as they indicate there might be bugs. Do a "squeeze test" to see if the kernels feel plump and firm. The ear should have some heft to it, and if it doesn't may indicate it is dried out.
How to store it
If you are cooking it in just a couple of hours then it's fine to leave it out on the counter. If it will be longer then store in a plastic bag in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator for up to a day or two.
For this recipe you'll need:
- Ears of corn - you can put in as many ears of corn as you like or that will fit inside your Instant Pot.
- Water - for cooking
- Butter and salt - or maybe one of these other really yummy toppings for corn on the cob.
Insert the rack into the inner liner of the Instant Pot, and pour in the minimum amount of water for your size model.
- 3-Quart Instant Pot - ½ cup
- 6-Quart Instant Pot - 1 cup
- 8-Quart Instant Pot - 2 cups
Prepare the ears of corn by removing the husks and silk. Trim the ends if you like. You can cook the corn with the husks on just cut the tops and ends off. If you cook with the husks on then add one minute to the cooking time.
Close the lid on the Instant Pot and cook for 4 minutes. If cooking with the husks on then add on one minute of cooking time. Follow with a quick release.
If desired, dump out the cooking water and add butter to the pot. Turn on to saute until butter is melted. Add back in the cooked corn and coat with butter then serve immediately. This goes really well with Instant Pot Brisket!
- 4 ears corn remove husks and silks
- 1 cup water for cooking
- ½ cup butter for serving
- Add rack to the Instant Pot and water to the inner liner of the Instant Pot. Stack corn inside.
- Close lid, and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. If husks are left on then add one minute. Follow with a quick release.
- Remove water from inner liner, and add butter to pot. Turn on saute, and then turn off once melted. Add corn back in, and coat with butter.