If you're looking for a quick and easy dinner Instant Pot Cube Steak fits the bill! Cube steaks smothered in an onion gravy made with a few pantry staples served over some creamy mashed potatoes is perfect for those meat and potato lovers out there.
Why this works
- Classic - Instant Pot Cube Steak is perfect comfort food any time of the year. A vintage recipe circa 1930's to 40's. Serve this with some homemade mac and cheese. I love recipes like this and French dip sandwiches.
- No fuss meal - this meal is pulled together in minutes and done in under an hour kind of like my ground beef rice-a-roni.
- Cheap but tasty - cube steaks are a more budget-friendly cut of beef that can be made into a filling meal with common items in your pantry like Swiss Steak.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Cube steak - this recipe uses 4-6 cubes steaks. They are generally budget friendly and don't take long to thaw for cooking.
- Onions - can be red or Vidalia cut into rings.
- Beef broth - I used reduced sodium broth. This makes a lot of gravy so you can reduce by half if you want.
- Worcestershire sauce - you can substitute equal parts soy sauce and ketchup if you need to.
- Fish sauce - gives this dish a bit of umami flavor. Be sure to use a high quality fish sauce for best results.
How to make this
The beauty of this recipe is it can be as easy or complicated as you want to make it. This is totally a dump and go recipe. Or, if you have a little extra time you can brown the vegetables for a little extra flavor.
Season the cube steaks with salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning. Preheat the pot to saute. Add a bit of olive oil to the liner then add in the sliced onion rings, and celery or mushrooms if using. Cook a minute or two until softened.
Next, add in the minced garlic, and saute for just a minute or until fragrant. Pour in the beef broth, and deglaze the inner pot.
Add in the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and fish sauce. Then layer the cube steaks in the pot. Cook on high pressure for 20-minutes then follow with a 10-minute natural pressure release.
Note: if your cube steaks are very large then add 5 minutes more time on high pressure.
Once done prepare a cornstarch slurry to thicken the gravy to the desired consistency.
You can make this Instant Pot Cube Steak a dump-and go meal if are short on time! Just insert your rack into the Instant Pot, and layer your seasoned meat inside. Top with any sliced vegetables, and add everything else except the cornstarch slurry. Cook for the same amount of time.
Cube steak, cubed steak, or "minute" steak as it is sometimes referred to is usually the top sirloin or top round cut of beef. The beef is tough so it is tenderized or flattened by pounding a meat tenderizer on it. Sometimes it's called "bucket steak" because of the stacked cardboard boxes they can come in. They are also called Swiss Steak and served with a tomato gravy.
Yes, it does. It has vinegar in it which helps to break down the meat fibers.
Not if it is cooked properly. Pressure cooking makes this cut tender. Also, cooking low and slow on the stove top for several hours will make this tender as well.
Storage & Reheating
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Reheat in microwave for a couple of minutes.
This can be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator, and reheat in the microwave.
How to video
More dinner recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Cube Steak
- 6 cube steaks
- Salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning to taste can substitute seasoned salt
- 1 onion red or Vidalia, sliced into rings
- 2 celery stalks sliced, optional
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced, optional
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced, can substitute with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 cups beef broth can use less if less gravy is desired
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- Cornstarch slurry, to desired thickness for gravy
- Season the cube steaks to taste with salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning.
- Preheat the Instant Pot to saute. Add some oil then the onions, celery, or mushrooms if using. Saute until softened.
- Turn off the saute, and layer in the seasoned cube steaks. Add in the beef broth, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, hot sauce, and fish sauce.
- Cook on high pressure for 20-minutes then follow with a 10-minutes natural pressure release.
- Once cooking is completed make a cornstarch slurry.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. May be frozen for up to three months and thawed in refrigerator prior to reheating.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!