Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce cooks quickly in the Instant Dutch Oven. Fork tender chicken breasts braised in a white wine cream sauce with mushrooms. Elegant comfort food that the whole family will love!
Why this works
- Simple ingredients - these ingredients are fairly easy to find. All of these kitchen staples combine to make a delicious meal just like onion soup or chicken mushroom pie.
- Naturally gluten-free - all of the ingredients are suitable for a gluten-free diet like my pot roast recipe.
- Delicious French comfort food - this adaption of Julia Child's Supremes de Volaille aux Champignons from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1 is as delicious as it gets. For more comfort food try out some Swedish meatballs in your Instant Dutch Oven.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Chicken - this recipe is written for boneless, skinless chicken breasts. However, you could use boneless skinless thighs as well.
- Mushrooms - Bella mushrooms were perfect for this but button mushrooms will work. If needed, you can also substitute with canned mushrooms.
- White wine - can be your favorite. I typically use a Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay. If wine isn't your jam then you can leave this out, and deglaze the pan with some of the broth.
- Beef broth - I know it sounds strange but it really is delicious. You can also use chicken or vegetable broth instead.
How to make this
Step 1: Seasoning the chicken and preparing the sauce
Trim the chicken breasts of excess fat. Season both sides with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Remove to plate and set aside.
Set the Instant Dutch Oven to sear/saute. Melt the butter. Add the chicken breasts to sear or rather bathe them in butter on both sides. Remove to a plate as they are finished.
Add the sliced mushrooms and diced shallots to saute until softened.
Add the white wine, and cook until reduced by half. Turn off the sear/saute function. Add in the beef broth, heavy whipping cream, and parsley. Give it all a good stir!
Step 2: Cooking and finishing the chicken
Return the chicken breasts to the Instant Dutch Oven. Cook on Manual Mode 2 for one hour.
During the last few minutes of cooking add the baby spinach to allow it to wilt.
Once the cooking time is finished, add the cornstarch slurry until the sauce is the consistency you like. Note that you may not need to use all of the cornstarch slurry.
Be sure not to burn the butter in the pan. The chicken breasts only really need to be bathed in butter. We are not looking for a brown crust per se.
If you want to keep this closer to the original you can leave out the baby spinach. Also, if you have very small chicken breasts or boneless skinless thighs be sure to cut down the cook time to 45-minutes.
Refrigerate within two hours of cooking in covered containers.
You're going to want to serve this chicken with creamy mushroom sauce with some mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes, and crusty French bread. Some steamed vegetables or some rice would also pair great with this dish.
Storage & reheating
Serve this immediately or store it in an airtight container for up to one week. Reheat in the microwave.
To freeze store in a freezer container for up to 4-6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator, and reheat in the microwave. If needed add a little milk or cream if the sauce is too thick.
How to video
More Instant Dutch Oven Recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lemon cut in half
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 shallot diced, may substitute with green onions
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup beef broth can use chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 8 ounces baby spinach optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and lemon juice on both sides.
- Preheat Instant Dutch Oven to saute. Add the butter and melt. Once melted saute or bathe the chicken in the butter on both sides to sear the meat. Once done remove to plate and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms and shallots to the Dutch oven. Saute until softened.
- Add in the white wine, and cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Turn off the saute function. Add in the beef broth, heavy whipping cream and parsley. Return the chicken to the Dutch oven and cover with the lid.
- Cook on Manual Mode 2 at 250-degrees for one hour.
- During the last few minutes of cooking remove the lid and add the spinach to allow it to wilt.
- Once the spinach is wilted combine the cornstarch and water. Set to saute. Stir in the cornstarch slurry until the desired consistency is reached. You may not use all of the slurry to do this.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Reheat in microwave.
- To freeze store in a freezer container for up to 4-6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator, and reheat in the microwave. If needed add a little milk or cream if the sauce is to thick.