Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup is a giant pot of one-pot comfort food that is a perfect dump and go weeknight meal. An easy meal made with pantry staples and some stew meat for a delicious filling meal.
Why this works
- One-pot meal - this is a one-pot meal that quickly gets it's on way that you basically just dump and let it cook just like my smoked sausage and potato dinner.
- Large batch - this Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup makes a ton so there is plenty of food for a hearty meal and yummy lunch leftovers. Make sure you make some homemade naan bread to serve with this!
- Pantry staples - you probably have most of these ingredients already on hand or they pretty easy to find like my beefy rice-a-roni recipe.
- Cook it your way - instructions for cooking in the Instant Pot, Instant Dutch oven, and slow cooker below just like my French Onion Pot Roast.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Beef - I like to use sirloin but any type of stew meat that you find at your butcher's counter will work. Pretty much any cut of beef will work for this recipe. Top round, bottom round, sirloin, eye of round, or chuck roast take your pick of what's on sale to make this recipe more economical. You can also use leftover pot roast for this recipe.
- Mushrooms - are optional, and you can also use either canned or fresh.
- Potatoes - should be the waxy variety like Yukon Gold, White, or Red so they don't dissolve during cooking.
- Italian herb seasoning - this is great to keep in the pantry to quickly season a variety of dishes. However, you can also use a combination of basil, oregano, thyme, and parsley with a pinch of rosemary to get the job done.
How to make this
Step 1: Prepping the beef for the soup
If you beef didn't already come from the butcher cubed be sure to cut it into roughly 1-inch or so cubes. Preheat the Instant Pot to saute, and add a small amount of oil to the pot. Add in the cubed beef and seasoning then stir to coat. Saute for a couple of minutes or until mostly lightly browned.
Note: If you are using leftover pot roast for this recipe, skip this step.
Add to the beef the onions, celery, and mushrooms. Saute for a couple of minutes until slightly softened. If there is a lot of browning on the bottom of the pot be sure to add a little water or broth to deglaze before going to the next step.
Note: If using leftover pot roast then just add the vegetables only to saute.
Step 2: Finishing and cooking the soup
Dice your potatoes into decent size cubes. Add the diced potatoes, mixed vegetables, salt, Italian herb seasoning, ground thyme, Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes with liquid, and beef broth to the pot. Give a small stir, and don't worry about a burn notice as there is plenty of thin liquid to prevent this.
Note: If using leftover pot roast add it to the pot with the remaining ingredients.
Instant Pot - Cook this on high pressure for 20-minutes then follow with a 10-minute natural pressure release.
Instant Dutch Oven - follow all the steps above, then cook on 300-degrees for one-hour. Or, slow cook for 8-hours after following the steps above.
You can use fresh or leftover beef from pot roast or steak. You can also use whatever vegetables you like for this recipe. You can also use new baby potatoes that are whole for this recipe.
If you don't have frozen or fresh vegetables then you can use canned. If using canned vegetables then add at the end after the pressure is released then cook on saute for a couple of minutes to warm.
If after browning your meat and vegetables you see a lot of brown bits on the bottom be sure to add a little water or broth to deglaze to prevent a BURN notice.
Add a cornstarch slurry of equal parts water and cornstarch at the end to thicken.
You can add hot red pepper flakes, a parmesan rind, diced jalapeno, chili crunch, or hot sauce.
Because the water and broth absorb into the starches in the soup making them plump with flavor.
Serve your vegetable beef Soup as a main course with a hearty cornbread, French bread, or another crusty bread. You can also serve this as a lunch with a salad, or a small bowl as an appetizer to a pasta dinner.
Storage & reheating
Serve immediately, and store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to one week. This can be frozen for up to two to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator, and reheat in the microwave.
How to video
More soup & stew recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
Meat and Seasoning
- 2 pounds beef cubed, sirloin or stew meat
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika can you regular paprika
- oil for sauteeing
- 1 onion diced
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms optional, can used canned
- 2 ½ pounds potatoes waxy, about 4 or 5
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables can use canned, see below notes
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups beef broth I used unsalted
Cooking and seasoning the meat
- Preheat the Instant Pot to saute, and add a small amount of oil to it.
- Add the cubed beef, ½ the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Cook for a couple of minutes until meat is lightly browned.
- Add the onion, celery, and mushrooms to the pot. Saute for a couple of minutes until lightly softened.
- If there are a lot of brown bits on the bottom of your pot be sure to add a little water or broth to deglaze before going to the next step to prevent any sort of BURN notice.
Finishing the soup
- Add the cubed potatoes, frozen mixed vegetables, Italian seasoning, remaining salt, Worcestershire sauce, ground thyme, diced tomatoes with liquid, and beef broth. Give a gentle stir.
- Cook on high pressure for 20-minutes then follow with a 10-minute natural pressure release.
- Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to one week. This can be frozen for 2-3 months then thawed in the refrigerator. Reheat in microwave.
Instant Dutch Oven
- Instant Dutch Oven - follow all the steps above, then cook on 300-degrees for one-hour. Or, slow cook for 8-hours after following the steps above.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!
So when will you write an Instant Pot Dutch Oven cook book? Your recipes are easy to follow and delicious.
Thanks so much! I'm so happy you enjoy my recipes. I have not been approached for a cookbook. 🙂
I love how this meal includes a good mix of vegetables with the meat. it's a very wholesome meal. Mahalo!
Mahalo to you as well! Thank you! I hope you really enjoy the recipe! 🙂