Instant Pot Ground Beef and Rice is an easy 5-ingredient meal that can be on the table in under 30-minutes! This one-pot recipe uses pantry staples that you can mix up with what you have on hand. This dump-and-go recipe is perfect for busy weeknights.
Why this works
- Quick and easy - this Instant Pot Beef and Rice uses items that can be commonly found in your pantry or at the store. It's a great dump and go just like my smoked sausage with potatoes and green beans.
- Cheap comfort food - this recipe takes just a few pantry ingredients to get you started and the whole family will just want more and more kind of like my egg roll in a bowl recipe.
- Fun and kid-friendly - even your pickiest eaters will enjoy this just like my Salisbury steak recipe. Have a toppings bar so every diner can customize their own bowl for a fun experience.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Rice-a-Roni - I used the beef flavor but you could substitute with another flavor that uses a 15-20 minute cooking time. You can also use plain rice as well. If using plain rice I recommend using broth or adding bouillon for flavor.
- Ground beef - I used and 80/20 mixture of beef. Ground chicken or turkey can be used. Boneless skinless chicken breasts that have been cut into small strips can be used as well with the same cooking time.
- Vegetables - I used a favorite steam in the bag vegetable, so you can use your favorite as it is cooked separately then added in. Canned vegetables can also be drained and added at the end.
How to make this
Set your Instant Pot to saute and allow to heat for a few minutes. Add the onions and cook until softened. Add in the ground beef, then cook until no longer pink. Drain the excess grease from the meat then return to the inner pot. Another great recipe like this one is my Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff!
Add the water and seasoning packets to the cooked ground beef then stir.
Add the rice to the top but DO NOT stir. Tamp down the rice a little if necessary to make sure it is all covered with water.
Close and seal the lid cooking on high pressure (normal) for 5 minutes then follow with a 3 minute NPR (natural pressure release). While you wait cook your vegetables frozen or canned in the microwave.
Stir the meat and rice mixture then add in the cooked vegetables.
Make it interesting by adding extra toppings of your choice like cheese, chopped tomatoes, green onions, or jalapenos. If you don't have ground beef but you do have beef steak instead check out this recipe at Grandma Behrendt's Kitchen!
If you want just want the rice then you cook with the same cooking time. If you like to brown up the rice you can still do this by doing this step first with some butter then removing to a plate while you prepare the meat. Use beef broth instead of water for more flavor then add your favorite seasonings to the recipe.
There wasn't enough water or the rice didn't absorb all the liquid. Add additional liquid and cook a few minutes longer.
Rice comes in package coated in starch. Rinse the rice prior to cooking so it doesn't get sticky.
Serve topped with cheese, sliced green onions, jalapenos, or tomatoes. You can even spice it up with some hot sauce or chili crunch. Serve this with some steamed broccoli or follow-it up with some brownie bites for dessert.
Storage & Reheating
This can be store in an airtight container or storage bag for up to one week. This can also be frozen for up to three months then thawed in the refrigerator prior to reheating.
How to video
More one-pot dinner recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Ground Beef and Rice
- 2 boxes Beef Rice-A-Roni may substitute any flavor that has a 15-20 minute cooking time on the box
- 2 pounds ground beef may substitute ground turkey or chicken, and also thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups vegetables cooked or warmed, frozen or canned
- 4 cups water may substitute broth of choice
- Turn on the Instant Pot to saute. Saute the onions in olive oil until softened. Add in the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain if there is excess grease, and then return to the inner pot.
- Add in the seasoning packets and water then stir together.
- Add in the rice but DO NOT stir. Tamp down with spoon if needed to submerge all the rice.
- Cook on high pressure for 5-minutes and follow with a 3-minute NPR.
- Stir the beef and rice then add in the vegetables.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!