Air Fryer Apple Chips are a tasty and healthy way to snack! Simple with no added sugar and a dust of cinnamon. This is a quick way to dehydrate apples in under 30 minutes and perfect to make ahead for the school or work week just like my Air Fryer Chickpeas.
Why this works
- Low-Calorie - these apple chips have a lot going in their favor! Gluten-free, low-calorie, no added sugar, or oil makes these a great choice of potato chips for snacking.
- Quick - done in under 30 minutes these make meal prep a breeze.
- Cheap - with just two ingredients that are easy to find you can grab up a few apples on sale for a budget-friendly treat.
- Crispy - you can get a crispier and crunchier apple chip by making them in the air fryer or oven.
Ingredients you will need
- Apples - you'll want to use varieties that are naturally sweeter like Honeycrisp, Gala, Pink Lady, or Envy apples.
How to make this
Step 1: Slice and prep the apples
Slice the apples into roughly ⅛-inch slices with a very sharp knife or mandolin. Place the apple slices into a large bowl or gallon size bag and toss with cinnamon.
Step 2: Cooking the apple chips
Lay the prepared apple slices on a dehydrator rack or your air fryer basket. If using the dehydrator rack, then fill all layers except the top one. If the apple slices are laid in the air fryer basket then make sure to place a rack on top to weight them down. This will prevent them from flying around.
This recipe does not require you to preheat your air fryer. Cook for 15-minutes at 375-degrees turning the apples every 5-minutes until they reach the desired doneness or crispiness. Depending on how thick your slices are will depend on the total amount of time they need to cook. Remember you can make these as chewy or crispy as you prefer.
Once done cooking allow to cool on a plate. The apple chips will get crispier as they cool.
If you are slicing a lot of apples them as you slice them put them in a bowl of water with some lemon juice to prevent premature browning. Pat dry with paper towels when you are ready to air fry them.
To get an even coating of cinnamon lay the apples on a baking sheet then use a small sifter to dust with cinnamon.
Powdered sugar contains a small amount of cornstarch which helps with storage. Add a little powdered sugar to your cinnamon to keep chips dryer when storing.
Yes as they are full of fiber and a little vitamin C.
It doesn't spoil as quickly as fresh fruit, but keeping it in the refrigerator will help it maintain freshness longer.
No, but soaking them in lemon water will prevent over-browning.
Add a little nutmeg or cloves to your spice mixture to liven things up a bit. Serve with other dried fruit, nuts, or maybe some Air Fryer Scotch Quail Eggs for breakfast.
Store in an airtight container or bag for up to one week. These don't take up much space so you could even stack them in a jar.
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Air Fryer Apple Chips
- 2 apples sweet variety, sliced whole in ⅛-inch slices
- cinnamon to taste
- Wash apples and then slice whole into ⅛-inch slices with a sharp knife or mandolin.
- Toss with cinnamon in a large bowl or plastic bag.
- Cook in air fryer at 375-degrees for 15-minutes turning every 5-minutes until apple slices reach desired doneness or crispiness.
- Remove to plate to cool While cooling they will continue to crisp a little more.
- Store in an airtight container, bag, or jar for up to one week. May also refrigerate if desired to keep them fresher longer.