Air Fryer Apple Chips are a tasty and healthy way to snack on sweet apples! Simple with no added sugar and a dust of cinnamon. This delicious snack is a quick way to make dehydrated apples in under 30 minutes and is perfect to make ahead for the school or work week.
Why this works
- Low-Calorie - these air fryer apple chips are a wholesome snack! Gluten-free, low-calorie, no added sugar, or oil makes these a great alternative to potato chips for a quick snack. These are also worth zero points for Weight Watchers.
- Quick - done in a fraction of the time compared to the oven in under 30 minutes these are easy air fryer recipe.
- Simple ingredients - with just two ingredients that are easy to find you can grab up a few Fall apples on sale for a budget-friendly nutritious snack. Apple Cider and Air Fryer Danishes are some more tasty snacks you can make this Fall!
- A family favorite - the entire family will be asking for these crisp air fryer apple chips to be added to their lunch boxes over and over again for a great snack like applesauce.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Apples - you should use your favorite apples. You'll want to use fresh apples that are naturally sweeter like Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or Gala apples. Red delicious apples are also great to use.
- Cinnamon - a little bit of cinnamon will go a long way. You can also use apple pie spice instead if you just want a hint of cinnamon. Or you can make cinnamon sugar by combing the cinnamon with sugar or even brown sugar.
How to make this
Step 1: Slice and prep the apples
Start by thoroughly washing your apples to remove pesticides and the waxy coating that usually comes on them from the grocery store. Don't skip this step and be sure to give them a good rinse.
You can core the apples or not as it is not necessary. Slice apples into roughly ⅛-inch thin slices with a very sharp knife or mandoline slicer for crunchy chips. You can cut them into thicker slices if you want chewier apple chips.
Place the sliced apples into a small bowl or gallon-size bag and toss with cinnamon. For sweeter apple chips add a little sugar to the cinnamon.
Step 2: Cooking the apple chips
Place apple slices on a dehydrator rack or in a single layer in your air fryer basket. If using the dehydrator rack, then fill all layers except the top one. If the apple slices are laid in the air fryer basket then make sure to place a rack on top to weigh them down. This will prevent them from flying around.
This recipe does not require you to preheat your air fryer. Cook for 15-minutes at 375 degrees turning the apples every 5-minutes until they reach the desired doneness or crispiness. Depending on how thick your slices are will depend on the total amount of time they need to cook.
Remember you can make these as chewy or crispy as you prefer. If you need to adjust the cooking time then only do it one minute at a time until the crunchy apple chips are done to your liking. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining apple slices.
Once done remove to a cooling rack. The apple chips will get crispier as they cool on the wire rack.
If you are slicing a lot of apples them as you slice them put them in a bowl of water with some lemon juice to prevent premature browning. Pat dry with paper towels when you are ready to air fry them.
To get an even coating of cinnamon lay the apples on a baking sheet then use a small sifter to dust with cinnamon.
Powdered sugar contains a small amount of cornstarch which helps with storage. Add a little powdered sugar to your cinnamon to keep chips dryer when storing.
Yes as they are full of fiber and a little vitamin C.
It doesn't spoil as quickly as fresh fruit, but keeping it in the refrigerator will help it maintain freshness longer.
No, but soaking them in lemon water will prevent over-browning.
Add a little nutmeg or cloves to your spice mixture to liven things up a bit. Serve with other dried fruit, nuts, or maybe some Air Fryer Scotch Quail Eggs for breakfast. They are also great as a side dish to a Chicken Caesar Salad Wrap.
Prior to storing make sure the air fryer apple chips are completely cool and dry. If they are not then they will create condensation in the storage bag and make the apple slices soggy.
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Air Fryer Apple Chips
- 2 apples sweet variety, sliced whole in ⅛-inch slices
- cinnamon to taste
- Wash apples and then slice whole into ⅛-inch slices with a sharp knife or mandolin.
- Toss with cinnamon in a large bowl or plastic bag.
- Cook in air fryer at 375-degrees for 15-minutes turning every 5-minutes until apple slices reach desired doneness or crispiness.
- Remove to plate to cool While cooling they will continue to crisp a little more.
- Store in an airtight container, bag, or jar for up to one week. May also refrigerate if desired to keep them fresher longer.