Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are easy and quick to make! Making mashed potatoes in the pressure cooker makes them turn out creamy and smooth each time. Quickly done with a 20-minute cook time.
Why this recipe works
- Reliable - take the guesswork out of knowing if your potatoes are done or not. Perfect each time you make them! Serve leftover French Dip meat over these with some yummy au jus gravy!
- Quick - I love how these classic mashed potatoes are done to perfection with a 20-minute cook time! Make some garlic butter to incorporate into these delicious potatoes.
- Creamy - this is the best-mashed potatoes recipe ever and super creamy and smooth. For an easy dinner serve some Instant Pot Beef Tips or Cream of Mushroom Pork Chops over a big bowl of these potatoes.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Potatoes- I generally will use Yukon Gold potatoes as they are a good waxy potato that is very reliable for mashed potatoes.
- Water - use either water or some chicken bone broth for extra flavor.
Russet potatoes can be used as they are low in moisture, high in starch, and very absorbent (soaking in all that buttery goodness!). Waxy potatoes like Red or White are low in starch, high in sugar and moisture, and hold their shape after cooking (perfect for potato salad or gratin's).
How to make it
Step 1: Cook the potatoes
Peel and cube 3 pounds of potatoes then place into the Instant Pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes. This should be around 3 cups of water.
Seal the lid, and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes then follow with a quick release.
Step 2: Finishing the mashed potatoes
Drain the potatoes. Add half the butter to the pot, and turn on to saute to melt. You can either mash the potatoes with a potato masher or rice them with a potato ricer.
If using a masher, then return all potatoes to the pot at once then mash. Add seasoning, and milk then stir to finish.
If using a potato ricer, then add potatoes to the ricer and rice. Repeat this process until done. Add seasonings, and milk then stir to combine.
You can make a whole five pounds then use the leftovers to make salmon patties. Try to keep the cubes all about the same size of volume as this always helps to cook evenly. This is a good rule of thumb when you are cutting up stew vegetables as well for other recipes.
Careful adding in the milk, and only add enough until the potatoes are a creamy consistency. Remember you can always add more, but you can't take it back once you add it.
Yes, you can add a steamer basket to the Instant Pot then fill it with the potatoes and cook. This makes it easy to remove and drain them after cooking.
Yes, just be sure to cover with water.
- Cream cheese - add 3 ounces of cream cheese.
- Butter and herb - add a ¼ cup of freshly chopped herbs, and 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Bacon cheddar - add ½ cup cooked bacon and ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Smoky cheddar - add 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ bacon or cooked ham, and ½ cup cheddar cheese.
- Sour cream and chives - add ¼ cup of sour cream and ½ teaspoon of chives.
Storage & Reheating
Store in an airtight container or storage bag for up to one week. Mashed potatoes will decrease in quality and will not taste as fresh the older they get. Add more seasoning or butter when reheating if necessary. Reheat in a microwave for a few minutes prior to serving.
Mashed potatoes can be frozen for up to one month. Completely cool the potatoes prior to storage in a freezer container or freezer bag. Thaw in the refrigerator, microwave, or stove over low heat.
More side dish recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled, and cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup milk or enough to make the potatoes a creamy consistency
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups water for cooking
- Add 3 cups of water to Instant Pot.
- Peel and cube or slice 3 pounds of potatoes, and add to water in Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, and then follow with a quick release.
- Drain potatoes. Add butter to Instant Pot, and set to saute until melted.
- If using a potato masher, then add all the potatoes back at once. Mash until done. Add seasoning, and enough milk to make the potatoes a creamy consistency.
- If using a potato ricer, then rice the potatoes until done. Add seasoning, and enough milk to combine.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
- To freeze, completely cool then place in freezer containers or freezer bags. Freeze for up to one month.
Don't forget to sign up for our email newsletter to receive recipes and updates from Monday is Meatloaf