Last Updated on October 19, 2019 by Tina
Instant Pot Swiss steak is a classic weeknight standby for home cooks, and economical when using beef cube steaks. Nicely seasoned steaks topped with a tasty tomato gravy with baby red potatoes makes for a great one-pot comfort food dinner! This would be great followed up by my Instant Pot Pineapple Upside Down Cake!
Prep the Instant Pot Swiss Steak
Season your cube steaks to your taste with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme.
Slice one onion, one celery stalk, and grab a tablespoon of garlic. Set the Instant Pot to saute and add a little olive oil. Put the prepped vegetables in the pot and cook until softened.
Add the beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, bay leaf, and sugar. Arrange the seasoned cube steaks in the pot.
Pour the can of diced tomatoes on top of the cube steak.
Prep the potato pack
Slice the red potatoes into small pieces to ensure even and thorough cooking. Place on foil. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and parsley. Top with a couple pats of butter.
Close the foil pack and leave a really small opening for steam at the top.
Cook the Instant Pot Swiss Steak
Close the lid according to manufacturers instructions and cook on high pressure (normal) for 20 minutes then follow with a 10 natural pressure release. Remove potatoes to bowl carefully. Thicken gravy to desired consistency with a cornstarch slurry.
Instant Pot Swiss Steak with Potatoes
Swiss Steak Ingredients
- 6 cube steaks
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme season to taste
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups unsalted beef broth
- pinch of sugar
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
Red Potato Pack
- 3 red potatoes large, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp butter I used unsalted
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parsley season to taste
- Season cube steaks with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute add some olive oil to pot and cook onions with celery until onions are softened. Add garlic then saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, bay leaf, Dijon mustard, and pinch of mustard. Place seasoned cube steaks into pot. Add tomatoes on top of cube steaks, do not stir.
- Slice potatoes into small pieces and place on foil. Season with salt, garlic powder, pepper, and parsley. Dot with butter.
- Close lid and cook on high pressure (normal) for 20 minutes then follow with a natural pressure release of 10 minutes. Remove potatoes to bowl. Combine cornstarch and water in bowl. Add to cube steaks and stir. Add more cornstarch slurry if desired to make gravy thicker.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week.