Last Updated on October 24, 2020 by Tina
Instant Pot Asparagus is a quick and easy side dish for any meal! Perfect crisp and tender asparagus packed with loads of flavor.
Monday is Meatloaf is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
How to choose and store asparagus
When buying asparagus I like to look for tender young stalks to medium sized ones that are bright green in color with an inch or so of white at the bottom tip. Did you know that once an aspargus plant matures that the stalks mature in 24 hours? I didn't either but you can read more about this and what farmers have to do at harvest time at The Spruce Eats.
Once you get your fresh asparagus home be sure not to rinse or put the ends of the stalks in water. Trim about a half-inch off the bottom if you don't plan to use it right away then store up to 3-4 days in the fridge.
Preparing the asparagus for cooking
The first step is to trim the ends of the asparagus. You can eyeball where the woody ends seems to stop then cut with a knife. The second way to trim them is to gently bend them until they naturally break in just the right spot.
Next take a large piece of aluminum foil and place the prepared vegetables on top. Season with salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning.
Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil, and place the pat of butter on top. Sprinkle with several drops of lemon juice, and lay a few thin slices on top of the asparagus.
Cooking the asparagus
Add one cup of water to the Instant Pot. Place the prepared asparagus into the pressure cooker. I used a 6-Quart Instant Pot Duo for this recipe, but any model will work.
Cook on high pressure (normal) for 4 minutes, and follow with a natural pressure release of two minutes.
Instant Pot Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed of woody ends
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter cut into pats
- ½ tsp Creole seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon slice two slice, reserve rest for juices
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the ends of one pound of medium-sized asparagus, and place in foil. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and place butter on top of asparagus.
- Cut the lemon in half. Squeeze several lemon drops on the asparagus. Cut two slices of lemon and add on top of the asparagus.
- Add one cup of water to the Instant Pot and place the prepared aspargus inside. Seal the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for four minutes.
- Serve immediately, or keep in an airtight container for up to three days.