Last Updated on May 2, 2020 by Tina
A quick and easy side dish that screams Springtime is Instant Pot Asparagus with Lemon. Easy to make and quick to put together I love making this to pair up with my Easy Spiced Holiday Ham with Pineapple Crusted Glaze! This also fits in with a keto or low-carb diet.
MY OTHER RECIPES
Monday is Meatloaf is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Choose and trim the Asparagus for Instant Pot Asparagus
When buying asparagus I like to look for tender young stalks to medium sized ones. I stay away from over large stalks as they take a lot longer to cook to make tender.
The first step to making Instant Pot Asparagus is to trim the ends of asparagus. You can eyeball where the woody ends seems to stop, but you might be losing out on some of the good parts. The second way to trim them is to bend them until they naturally break. This way you won’t have lost any good produce.
I used one of the stainless steel inserts from my pot-in-pot set to cook these. However, you can just use foil being sure to leave them uncovered or anything else you normally use in your Instant Pot as long as it fits.
Prepare the Instant Pot Asparagus for cooking
Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil, and place the pats of butter on top. Salt and pepper to taste. If you like you can seasoned salt instead to kick it up a notch. Sprinkle with several drops of lemon juice, and lay a few thin slices on top of the asparagus.
Add one cup of water to the Instant Pot. Place the prepared asparagus into the Instant Pot.
Cook the Instant Pot Asparagus
Cook the Instant Pot Asparagus on high pressure for 4 minutes, and follow with a natural pressure release of two minutes. If you are using especially small stalks reduce the time to 2 minutes of high pressure time, and a natural pressure release of one minute.
If you are using larger stalks cook on high pressure for 5 minutes with a two minute natural pressure release.
Instant Pot Asparagus with Lemon
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed of woody ends
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter cut into pats
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the ends of one pound of medium-sized asparagus, and place in a pan. These can aslo be placed in foil with the top of the packet open. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and place butter on top of asaragus.
- Cut the lemon in half. Squeeze several lemon drops on the asparagus. Cut a few slices of lemon and add on top of the asparagus.
- Add one cup of water to the Instant Pot and place the PIP inside. Seal the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for four minutes, and follow with a natural release for two minutes. See above in post for timing recommendations for different sized asparagus spears.
- Serve immediately, or keep in an airtight container for up to one week.