Oven baked leg quarters are an economical and easy dinner meal that the whole family will enjoy. Ready to cook in just a few minutes in the oven or on the grill. The chicken comes out juicy, and tender with a crispy skin. Cook up some Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes and steam some vegetables for the perfect meal!
MY OTHER RECIPES
Monday is Meatloaf is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Picking and prepping the chicken
Chicken quarters consist of two parts, which are the leg or drumstick and thigh. Find large thighs, and trim any excess skin from them. If you have other chicken parts these will work as well. Excess skin would be extra skin hanging past the meat.
If baking the chicken in the oven, preheat it to 450-degrees. Place chicken on baking pan with a rack, and season generously to taste with your favorite poultry seasoning or rub. This is so simple, Keto-friendly, and low-carb.
I also add ½ cup of chicken broth to the bottom of the pan with some sliced onion, carrot, and celery. You can also use the drippings to make some gravy later. To make the gravy heat the drippings, and add a little cornstarch to thicken as desired.
If grilling the chicken, preheat the grill with all burners on high then season the chicken as above. Place the chicken on a baking sheet lined with foil which will help with clean up.
Cooking the chicken leg quarters
For the oven, place the chicken on the middle rack. Cook for 10-minutes at 450-degrees. This step will sear the skin leading to a crispier texture.
Reduce the temperature to 375-degrees, and continue to cook for an hour and 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165-degrees.
On the grill, set the chicken on one side of the grill. Turn off the burners under the chicken.
We will be cooking on indirect heat, so leave the burner furthest from the chicken on high. If you have a 4-burner then leave the next one on low. Cook until the chicken has a internal temperature of 165-degrees turning every 30 minutes.
Once the chicken is done remove from the grill or oven. Cover with foil and let rest a few minutes prior to serving. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. This can be made ahead and reheated for a weeknight dinner.
Oven Baked Leg Quarters (+Grill)
- 4 chicken leq quarters whole, may substitute other chicken parts
- 2 tsp seasoning poultry seasoning or favorite rub, adjust to taste
- Season chicken generously, and place in baking pan with rack. If desired, add ½ cup of chicken broth with some sliced onion, carrot, and celery to make gravy from the drippings at the end. If grilling put on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees. Place chicken on center rack in oven. Cook at this temperature for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375-degrees and cook for an hour and 15 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165-degrees.
- Preheat grill with all burners on high. Place chicken on grill and turn off the burners underneath. Leave the burner furthest from the chicken on high. If using a four-burner grill then leave the next burner on low.
- Once cooked let the meat rest covered with foil for ten minutes.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. This can be made ahead and reheated for a weeknight dinner.