Last Updated on April 26, 2020 by Tina
Instant Pot Crack chicken is a classic dish, and I finally decided I needed to try it out. I was inspired by my friend Carla’s delicious recipe over at Adventures of a Nurse, and she’s right her version needs a warning label it’s so delicious.
After trying hers, I tried my hand at a lower sodium version. Both are amazing! You should try both. 🙂 This makes an easy make ahead meal prep, especially when paired with my Instant Pot Omelette Bites.
Monday is Meatloaf is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Prep the Instant Pot Crack Chicken
Start by taking the chicken breasts and laying them in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Here is where I was thinking that this should be easy but should taste much better than just using a generic ranch seasoning packet. Season the chicken breasts with the garlic powder, dill, chives, parsley, cayenne pepper, pepper, onion powder, and smoked paprika.
Next add a cup of broth, and this is very important. I tested the recipe using the popular 1/2 cup of broth, and I immediately got a burn notice. I use a 6-quart Instant Pot for my blog, and I found you definitely need that full cup for this Instant Pot Crack Chicken recipe.
I like to use Better than Bouillon for this to give it extra flavor, but I am in no way being compensated by the company to say this. Also, flip the chicken a little to get the breasts coated a bit with the spices. The spices and the broth are always good kitchen staples to keep on hand.
Next, cube the cream cheese and put it on top of the chicken.
Seal the lid on the Instant Pot according to the manufacturers instructions. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes and follow with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
Prep the extra’s for the meal
While the chicken is cooking it’s a perfect time to cook the bacon. You can pan fry, or bake in the oven at 425-degrees for about 20 minutes or until done to your desired level of crispiness.
Slice up some green onions and you are all set!
Finish preparing your meal
Once finished remove the chicken from the Instant Pot to a plate, and leave yummy broth in the pot. you might want to let it cool for a minute or two. 🙂
Shred the chicken well for this Instant Pot Crack Chicken deliciousness. I used these handy shredder claws, which are also perfect for shredding pork or beef.
Add the mayo, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese , Worcestershire sauce, some of your favorite hot sauce, lemon juice, and crumbled bacon to the pot.
Turn the pot on saute, and stir together well. Cook until the cheese is melted. If the mixture is to thin, add a cornstarch slurry to the mixture or additional cheese. If you are following a keto diet you can thicken with the additional cheese, xanthan gum, almond flour, or other substitute.
Don’t forget it’s important to use the full cup of broth or it will give a burn notice. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to one week in an airtight container. This is delicious served by itself, on a roll, in a pita, in a lettuce wrap, with pasta, or over rice.
Instant Pot Crack Chicken
Cooking the chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 tsp chives
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
To finish the chicken
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 8 slices bacon cooked
- 2 tbsp cornstarch optional
- 2 tbsp water optional
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced, optional
- Place the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot with the chicken broth, cubed cream cheese, and all the seasonings in the ‘Cooking the Chicken’ instruction group above.
- Seal the Instant Pot according to the manufacturers directions. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, and follow with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Pan fry bacon or cook bacon in oven at 425-degrees for 20 minutes until done. Crumble, and set aside. Slice green onions if desired.
- Remove chicken to plate once cooked, and shred. Add back to Instant Pot.
- Add the mayo, shredded cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Stir well to combine, and cook until cheese is melted.
- If desired, thicken with additional cheese or a cornstarch slurry by combining conrnstarch and water then adding to the crack chicken mixture.