I did it! Believe it or not…I purchased my first Instant Pot and it is a complete revelation! I will admit just to you that I was skeptical at first, because it sounded to good to be true. But, it wasn’t! My first attempts at Instant Pot Cooking have been nothing short of delightful and delicious. However, I was super successful with Instant Pot Sirloin Beef Tips with Mushroom Gravy.
Not one to go the simple route hardly ever, I chose to start my adventures with Instant Pot Sirloin Beef Tips with Mushroom Gravy! This turned out to be the most tender stew with layers of flavor, and just to be sure I did it a second time. The second time I had the same amazing results!
Start with two pounds of sirloin cut into roughly one-inch cubes, and pat dry with a paper towel. Pat dry as best you can, it does not have to be perfect. We pat it dry so it browns nicely, wet beef does not brown as well.
*Note: I have a family of very large eaters, so I used four pounds of sirloin for this recipe. So, if you have a large family you can easily double the portions of the recipe. This will extend the prep and browning time slightly.
Next, we are going to season the beef with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Then lightly coat the sirloin in flour.
Set your instant pot to the saute setting, and once preheated add some olive oil to the pan and brown the meat. The meat is best browned in batches.
Note: If doubling the recipe, I recommend browning the meat in a pan in batches on the stove top as it could possibly make to much of a mess of the instant pot liner.
Remove the beef from the instant pot. Saute one chopped onion, and the mushrooms. Scrape the brown bits as much as possible from the bottom of the pan. Once the vegetables are softened add minced garlic to cook for a couple of minutes. Add the wine to deglaze the pan. I like to use Pinot Noir. 😉 If you don’t care for wine then you may deglaze the pan with the same amount of additional beef broth. The remainder of the brown bits will loosen, cook until the wine has reduced to about a half.
Add the beef back to this instant pot along with the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley.
Place and lock the lid onto the instant pot according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and close the vent. Cook on manual, high pressure for 15 minutes. Once finished, quick-release according to your manufacturer’s instructions.
Once the lid has been safely removed, set to saute setting on high. Combine cornstarch and water. Add to stew once simmering, and add enough of the mixture to thicken. Serve immediately over buttered egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Will store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Note: If doubling recipe, cooking time is the same.
Instant Pot Sirloin Beef Tips with Mushroom Gravy
- 2 pounds beef sirloin tips cut into 1-inch cubes, patted dry
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour enough for dusting meat
- olive oil for browning
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red wine your favorite
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- 2 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Cut sirloin into 1-inch cubes, and pat dry. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Dust with all-purpose flour.
- Heat olive oil in instant pot on saute function. Brown sirloin cubes and remove to plate.
- Add chopped onion and sliced mushrooms and saute until softened. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add wine to deglaze the pan, and reduce by half.
- Add beef back to instant pot. Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley.
- Place and lock the lid onto the instant pot according to the manufacturer's instructions, and close the vent. Cook on manual, high pressure for 15 minutes. Once finished, quick-release according to your manufacturer's instructions.
- Once the lid has been safely removed, set to saute setting on high. Combine cornstarch and water. Add to stew once simmering, and add enough of the mixture to thicken. Serve immediately over buttered egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.