An easy and economical dish that everyone will love! A few simple ingredients and you'll have dinner on the table in 30 minutes! This Instant Pot Smoked Sausage & Potatoes with Green Beans dish is pure comfort food and everyone will love this delicious one-pot meal.
Why this works
- Easy and quick - this dish will be on your table in under 30 minutes. The ingredients are easy to keep on hand and have ready quickly. If you like this recipe you'll be sure to like my beefy Rice-a-Roni or shrimp scampi for another quick weeknight meal!
- One-pot meal - everything for this Instant Pot Smoked Sausage & Potatoes with Green Beans is cooked in one-pot for this meal which means super easy clean-up for you just like my ziti recipe or creamy chicken and noodles.
- Simple and flavorful - this dish has humble ingredients but is a real stand out with flavor like my French dip sandwich recipe.
- Pick your cooking method - I've provided directions for both the Instant Pot and Instant Dutch oven for this recipe.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Smoked sausage - you can use your favorite smoked sausage or kielbasa for this recipe. Be sure it's the pre-cooked kind like I have pictured.
- Baby potatoes - you can cut these in half like I do to make them go further, or cook them whole. You can also use regular waxy potatoes like Red or Yukon Gold by cutting them into chunks for cooking.
- Chicken broth - you can substitute here with water or any other broth you have on hand.
- Salt - since some sausages are saltier than others the salt can be reduced, or omitted to let people season it how they like. You can also use unsalted chicken broth to cut down on the saltiness.
How to make this
Step 1: Cooking the onions and smoked sausage
Preheat the Instant Pot to saute. Add a small amount of oil for cooking, and then add the sliced onions. Saute until soft and translucent.
Next add the sliced smoked sausage, and saute until lightly browned. Add in the Creole seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and butter then stir to coat.
Instant Dutch Oven - I would recommend browning the sausage first, then removing to a plate. Next saute the onions until softened. Then proceed to add the chicken broth.
Add in the chicken broth, and deglaze the pot.
Step 2: Cooking the smoked sausage and vegetables
Add in the snapped and trimmed green beans. Follow this with the halved baby potatoes.
Seal the lid and cook on high pressure for 7-minutes and then follow with a 3-minutes natural pressure release.
Instant Dutch Oven - cook on manual mode 2 at 350-degrees for 45-minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through. Stir halfway through the cooking time.
If you don't have fresh green beans you can use frozen green beans instead. If you use canned green beans, add them after pressure cooking. Heat in microwave prior to adding or heat for a couple of minutes on saute.
If using the Instant Dutch Oven then be sure to cut up the potatoes to be all about the same size to promote even cooking.
If not using pre-cooked sausage be sure to cook the sausage according to the package directions prior to using in this recipe.
I recommend using chicken broth, but vegetable or ham broth will work as well. If you're in a pinch you can use water if you need to it just might not be as flavorful.
Smoked sausage can be fried in a pan for a few minutes prior to serving or grilled for about 10 minutes at 400-degrees.
Fresh vegetables, mac & cheese, baked beans, or potato salad.
Sausages should not be boiled prior to frying or grilling them.
Storage & reheating
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Reheat for a few minutes in the microwave.
This can be frozen for up to 2 to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator, and reheat in microwave for a few minutes.
How to video
More Instant Pot recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Smoked Sausage and Potatoes with Green Beans
- 2 pounds smoked sausage precooked, can also use kielbasa
- 1 pound green beans trimmed and snapped
- 1 ½ pounds baby potatoes cut in half, but can be left whole if desired
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning can substitute seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt optional, can be reduced or omitted
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter
- oil for sauteeing
Instant Dutch Oven
- 2-3 cups chicken broth total and not in addition to the chicken broth in the Instant Pot ingredients above
- Preheat the Instant Pot to saute. Add a small amount of oil to the pot. Add the sliced onions, and cook until softened.
- Add in the sliced smoked sausage, and brown slightly.
- Add in the Creole seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and butter then stir. Add in the chicken broth, and deglaze the pot.
- Add in all remaining ingredients, and stir together.
- Seal the lid of the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 7-minutes then follow with a 3-minutes natural pressure release.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Instant Dutch Oven
- I recommend sauteeing the sausage first then removing to a plate. Then sauteeing the onions. Once done deglaze with chicken broth and proceed with recipe.
- Instead of 1-cup of chicken broth you will need to use two to three cups instead. While you do not have to completely cover everything you will want most of the food to be submerged.
- Cook on manual mode 2 at 350-degrees for 45-minutes or until the vegetables are cooked. Be sure to stir halfway through the cooking process.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!