Italian Sausage and Peppers make great sandwiches that are perfect for feeding a tailgating crowd or an easy dinner. These are just like the ones you get at the fair. Learn how to make them mini-sandwiches for entertaining!
Why this works
- Simple and tasty - Italian sausage and peppers are made with easy-to-find ingredients that turn out a delicious meal like my brats and sauerkraut.
- Weeknight meal - this is made very quickly and is great for a quick weeknight meal or day where you don't feel like cooking with some breadsticks and salad.
- Make it ahead - these Italian sausage and peppers are great for parties, tailgates, or even to make a day or so ahead for dinner later in the week! Cook up a batch of Charro Beans (Frijoles Charros) to serve as a side.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card, where you'll find exact measurements.
- Italian Sausages - use your favorite Italian sausages like sweet, hot, or regular.
- Brioche Rolls - again, use your favorite roll for Italian Sausage sandwiches. If you're making the mini version, then you can find short rolls or cut larger rolls or loaves in half for a party platter.
- Beer - your favorite beer can be used here. If you do not drink alcohol, substitute with a can of diced tomatoes and ½ cup chicken broth.
How to make this
You can leave the Italian sausages the way they are cooked. Or you can make them into mini Italian sausage sandwiches for entertaining for a potluck or tailgate party.
Take each sausage link and pinch in the middle, then twist. This will make two links out of one. You can also tie it with string if you want, but it's not necessary.
You may have to mush the sausage a little to make them uniform be careful to keep the filling in the casing as much as possible. It is fine if it pokes out a little bit.
Set the Instant Dutch Oven to sear/saute. Add a small amount of olive oil to the pot once preheated. Saute with the lid off. Brown the Italian sausages on both sides, being sure to turn carefully if you made the mini sausages.
Remove the Italian sausage to a plate, and set aside.
Slice the onions and green peppers. Preheat the Instant Precision Dutch Oven to sear/saute if it is not already on. Saute with the lid off. Add a small amount of olive oil to the pot, and add in the green peppers and onions.
Saute until only slightly softened but still crisp. Add in the minced garlic and saute for a few seconds. Add in the Italian herb seasonings and beer.
Return the Italian sausage to the Instant Dutch oven. Cook on braise mode for 30-45 minutes or until the sausage is done with the lid on.
Be sure to use your favorite Italian sausage type for this Italian sausage and peppers recipe. If you are not a beer lover, you can substitute one 14.5-ounce can of tomatoes with the juices and ½ cup of chicken broth.
Yes, sausage and peppers are a common Italian street food.
No, do not prick them. When you prick them, all the fat and juices will leak out during cooking, causing the sausages to be dry.
Serve this Italian sausage and peppers on a hoagie roll or bun, then top with the peppers and onions. Serve with a green salad or a side of french fries. They can also be served with pasta or rice, especially if you do the tomato option.
Storage & reheating
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. These can be frozen for up to three months without the juices and then thawed in the refrigerator prior to reheating.
How to video
More Instant Pot recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Italian Sausage Sandwiches with Peppers and Onions
- 8 Italian sausages regular, sweet, or hot
- 2 green peppers sliced
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 12-ounce beer
- 8 hoagie rolls whole or cut in half
Equipment You Might Need
- Slice the onions, and green peppers then set aside.
- If doing mini-sandwiches, pinch each sausage in the middle then twist the sausage.
- Preheat the Instant Dutch oven to sear/saute. Add a small amount of olive oil to the pot. With the lid off sear the sausages on both sides then remove to plate.
- Add the peppers and onions to the pot. Add additional cooking oil if needed. Saute until slightly softened but still crisp.
- Add in the garlic and saute a few seconds. Turn of the sear/saute to add the Italian herb seasoning and beer.
- Place the sausages back in the Instant Dutch oven.
- Cook on braise mode for 30-45 minutes or until the sausages are done.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Freeze for up to three months without juices, then thaw in the refrigerator prior to reheating.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Dutch Oven recipes!