This Instant Pot Fettucine Alfredo is sinfully creamy, rich, and wonderfully delicious! Made in under 30-minutes and easily doubled this can be a kid-friendly one-pot meal on a busy weeknight.
Why this works
- One-pot meal - add a protein like chicken or shrimp to this Instant Pot Fettucine Alfredo then pair it with some steamed broccoli.
- Classic and simple - easy to make this recipe is a classic that lots of people enjoy. Serve it up to your guests or your family with some garlic bread with confidence that everyone will love it.
- Doubles easily - this doubles very easily in a 6- or 8-quart Instant Pot just like my beef tips recipe.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Parmesan cheese - you can use the pre-shredded kind or shred it yourself. You can also mix it up and add a little Asiago cheese as well for you Instant Pot Fettucine Alfredo.
- Cream cheese - I like to use full-fat but reduced-fat cream cheese will work as well. If you want to add additional flavor you can add some Boursin in place of the cream cheese or an herb-flavored cream cheese.
- Pasta - can be easily doubled. If you don't have fettucine noodles then linguine or spaghetti will work as well. You may have to adjust the time.
- Water - I prefer to use water to cook the noodles but you can also use chicken or vegetable broth. You can also add a little garlic bouillon as well to the pasta water to kick it up a notch.
How to make this
Step 1: Cooking the fettucine pasta
The first step is to cook the pasta. Break the pasta in half, and place it in the Instant Pot in a crisscross fashion. Pour the olive oil evenly over the top, and then pour the water over the pasta.
Cook on high pressure for 5-mintues then follow with a controlled quick release. A controlled quick release means you release the pressure in short bursts. This will make sure that you don't have pasta water spraying out all over your kitchen.
If you used a different type of pasta that's okay. You will need to adjust the cooking time to half of the lowest recommended time minus one-minute for perfect pasta.
Once the pressure is released use a pair of tongs or a fork to toss the pasta in the pasta water. Reserve ½-cup of the pasta water, and then drain the pasta of the remaining pasta water.
Step 2: Making the alfredo sauce
Set the Instant Pot to saute. Add the butter, cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, reserved pasta water, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and pepper to the Instant Pot. Stir or whisk until everything is melted and combined. Turn off the saute function.
Add the pasta back to the pot and toss with the sauce until it is well coated. Don't worry if it seems a little thin since it will thicken as it stands. Sprinkle finished plates with parsley prior to serving.
If using different pasta for your Instant Pot Fettucine Alfredo be sure to adjust the cook time if needed.
If want to add chicken to this cut it into bite-sized pieces or strips. Place under the pasta in the Instant Pot prior to cooking. There must be at least a 4-minute cook time for the chicken to be properly cooked.
If you want to add shrimp to this instead you can add frozen shrimp with a minimum 4-minute cook time as well.
You can also add to the pasta at the end some spinach, broccoli, and some cooked chicken or shrimp. Kick up the heat or flavor by adding sauteed shallots or fresh garlic along with some hot red pepper flakes.
Alfredo isn't thought of as an authentic dish and has several ingredients like Parmesan and cream. Carbonara is an authentic Italian dish comprised of eggs, cured pork or bacon, and lots of cheeses.
If you're a fan of the movie 'The Holiday' then yes you definitely know it is. This is an easy dish you can feed a crowd before the big feast on Christmas day making it a perfect holiday eve dinner.
Storage & reheating
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
This alfredo pasta can be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months. Be sure to freeze within two hours of cooking. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and add a little milk or cream to reconstitute the creamy sauce. Reheat in the microwave.
How to video
More pasta recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Fettucine Alfredo
- 1 16-ounce box fettucine pasta broken in half
- 4 cups water may use chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter I used unsalted
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese
- ½ cups reserved pasta water
- Break fettucine pasta in half and place in the Instant Pot. Layer the pasta in a criss cross pattern.
- Pour olive oil as evenly as possible over the pasta. Add in the water.
- Seal the lid on the pressure cooker, and cook for 5-minutes on high pressure followed by a controlled quick release. A "controlled" quick release means you are releasing the pressure in short bursts to prevent hot pasta water from spraying out of the vent.
- Once the pressure is released using a fork or tongs toss the pasta in the pasta water prior to draining to resolve any pasta that may have stuck or clumped together.
- Drain the pasta being sure to reserve ½ cup of pasta water.
- Add the butter, heavy cream, cream cheese, garlic powder, pepper, and pasta water. Whisk to combine as the cream cheese melts. Once smooth then add the Parmesan cheese to melt. Whisk everything together until the sauce is smooth.
- Add the pasta back to the pot, and toss with the sauce. If it seems a little watery then allow to sit for a few minutes to thicken.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
- This alfredo pasta can be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months. Be sure to freeze within two hours of cooking. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and add a little milk or cream to reconstitute the creamy sauce. Reheat in the microwave.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!