I love all things pumpkin, and these pumpkin seeds are a perfect snack to make! Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds are easy to make and a healthy crunchy snack the entire family can enjoy during the Fall season! Roasted in the air fryer until crispy these are deliciously seasoned with your favorite flavors.
Why this works
- Easy - recipes don't really get easier than these homemade pumpkin seeds. It's a great way to get your kids involved in the kitchen with proper adult supervision. You do another easy recipe by making cinnamon rolls for breakfast as well.
- Healthy - air fryer pumpkin seeds are a nutritious healthy snack that helps aid in digestion.
- Portable - a portable snack that you can take with you anywhere just like roasted chickpeas!
- No waste - This tasty snack is the best way to use the whole pumpkin with zero waste after you're done making some pumpkin puree.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Pumpkin seeds - should be free of pulp, and dry for these air fryer pumpkin seeds. You can use the fresh pumpkin seeds from pie pumpkins or a large pumpkin after you are done with your pumpkin carving fun for the big spooky day.
- Olive oil - my personal preference is to use olive oil, but you can also use avocado oil or vegetable oil too.
- Kosher Salt - lightly salted are my favorite kind of crispy pumpkin seeds but you can add garlic powder or chili powder. To get more pumpkin flavors you can even add brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice to them. Or you can use any of your favorite seasonings.
How to make this
Making roasted pumpkin seeds is one of the easiest air fryer recipes you can make. First, remove the pumpkin guts from the pumpkin, and then separate the pumpkin pulp from the seeds in a large mixing bowl. Clean pumpkin seeds with cold water in a colander.
Spread the cleaned seeds on layers of paper towels or a kitchen towel to air dry for 30 minutes or several hours. The goal is to get the excess water dried out from the seeds. You can go straight to toasting them but this step will give you crunchy pumpkin seeds.
Pour the oil and salt over the prepared seeds. Toss the seeds with a large spoon with oil and salt. Place the pumpkin seeds in a single layer in the air fryer basket lined with parchment paper. Air fry at 360 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
Toss the seeds every 5 minutes to ensure even roasting for these air fryer pumpkin seeds. You can increase or decrease the cook time depending on your preference for how toasty or how much of a nutty flavor you are looking for.
Some folks soak their seeds in water for air fryer pumpkin seeds, but this is not necessary. If anything this would steam the seeds resulting in a chewy instead of crispy texture.
You can roast the seeds from any type of pumpkin. You can also roast seeds using this method from other types of squash like butternut or acorn squash.
The outer white shell of the pumpkin seed is totally edible. You can eat them with or without the shell.
That is really up to you. You can shell them and just roast the meat or pepitas. Or, you can roast them shell which is the most common way.
Yes, not only are these tasty seeds full of healthy nutrients but they can be added to a keto, low-carb, or another diet without adverse effects.
These are a great snack on their own or they can be added to salads, Serve these roasted air fryer pumpkin seeds in a large bowl at a party.
Or individually as a nutritious snack on their own or they can be added to salads, smoothies, or granola. Add them as a crunchy topping to butternut squash soup or oatmeal.
Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds are a great portable snack that have a long shelf life. Once roasted they can be stored for up to three months at room temperature in an airtight container, or up to as long as one year in the refrigerator or freezer.
More snack recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Air Fryer Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds free of pulp, rinsed, and dried for 30 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil can use your oil of choice, amount can be adjusted for amount of seeds you are roasting
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Remove seeds from pumpkin, and separate them from the pulp. Rinse under water in a colander. Set aside on plate or paper towel for 30 minutes to dry.
- Air fry at 360-degrees for 10-15 minutes until desired level of crispiness is reached. Toss every five minutes until done.
- Serve immediately, or store at room temperature for up to three months. Can be stored up to one year in refrigerator or freezer.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!
Leave a Reply