Homemade Boursin Cheese is a deliciously addictive creamy dip or spread that is full of herbs and garlic. Boursin cheese can be added to a number of dishes like chicken, pasta, salads, and appetizers. Once you taste how amazing this is you'll be looking for new recipes to use with it!
Why this works
- Economical - Homemade Boursin Cheese can be made with easy-to-find ingredients at the store and some pantry staples much like garlic butter can. You can make a lot to be used across many recipes for a fraction of the price to buy it already made.
- Crowd-pleaser - who doesn't love Boursin cheese? Your guests will love this for an appetizer with stuffed mushrooms or homemade pimento cheese.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Cream cheese - can be full or reduced-fat but must be softened to room temperature.
- Butter - I recommend unsalted especially if you plan to use this in other recipes that may already be salted. However, you can use salted butter if you wish.
- Parsley - not pictured as it is an optional ingredient. I made it without parsley but many people like to add it.
- Marjoram - if you do not have marjoram you can use oregano instead.
How to make this
Allow the cream cheese and butter to come to room temperature on the countertop. Combine all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Stir until combined and the herbs are thoroughly incorporated into the mixture.
Be sure to allow the cream cheese and butter to come to room temperature. Do not do it in the microwave as it will likely melt and ruin the consistency of the mixture.
You can vary the herbs in this recipe and even make other variations with different ingredients like fig, chimichurri sauce, pesto, and a little heat with cayenne pepper. You can also substitute fresh herbs as well.
Boursin cheese was created by Francois Boursin in the Normandy region of France in the 1950s. It is flavored cream cheese.
Homemade Boursin Cheese is great served on crackers or toasted bread rounds. This makes a great dip for a vegetable tray too! It makes a great addition to mashed potatoes or baked potatoes! And add it to any of your pasta recipes that call for cream cheese! Serve this on a charcuterie board with meats, cheese, and apricot jam.
Storage & reheating
Serve immediately, or chill prior to serving. This can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks. This can also be frozen for up to three months.
More appetizer recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Homemade Boursin Cheese
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature, full or reduced fat
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon thyme ground or leaves
- 2 tablespoons parsley optional
- Soften the cream cheese and butter to room temperature.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients.
- Stir together until completed mixed and the herbs are incorporate throughout the mixture.
- Serve immediately, or chill prior to serving. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks. This can be frozen for up to three months.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!