Fresh and easy broccoli steamed to perfection in the Instant Pot makes an easy side dish or a quick lunch with some rotisserie chicken. A healthy low-carb dish ready in just a few minutes or the time it takes your Instant Pot to come to pressure!
Why this works
- Quick - the zero-minute cook time makes this a super fast way to make perfect broccoli for dinner just like egg roll in a bowl. You can also serve this along with some Instant Pot Cube Steak.
- Perfect cook - follow my directions and you will get perfect Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli that's perfect for snacking, adding to a pasta dish, or a side dish like cheesy ranch potatoes.
- Double it up - this can easily be doubled with the same cook time. Save time with your meal prepping for the week by doing this! Add this to some Instant Pot Fettucine Alfredo for a quick meal or use it in a stir fry.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Broccoli - should be brightly green with tightly closed florets with firm strong stalks. Avoid broccoli with any yellowing or if the stalks are not firm. You can also use frozen broccoli.
- Water - you can use either water or broth. Chicken or vegetable broth would work great and give this side dish some additional flavoring.
How to make this
Prepare the broccoli by cutting it into medium-sized florets. Be careful not to cut them to small so they do not get overcooked.
Add the minimum amount of water to your Instant Pot for your model.
- 3-Quart Instant Pot - ½ cup
- 6-Quart Instant Pot - 1 cup
- 8-Quart Instant Pot - 2 cups
Add the broccoli florets, the water, and the seasonings. Seal and close the lid on the pressure cooker.
Cook for zero-minutes on high pressure followed by a quick release. Yes, I really said zero-minutes. The broccoli will steam in the time it takes the pot to come to pressure ensuring that it will not overcook it.
Using frozen broccoli - use the same cook time. Keep in mind that since broccoli is blanched prior to freezing that it will be a little softer than the fresh broccoli.
If your model does not have a zero-minute setting then set to one-minute but cancel then quick release as soon as it comes to pressure.
Once the pressure is released remove the lid, and remove to bowl.
When cooking the Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli you can use a strainer basket or steamer insert to make it easier to remove the broccoli. If you like more tender broccoli then cook for one-minute with a quick release.
The best way to eat it is raw or lightly steamed to get the most benefit from the vegetable.
It's good for you. Broccoli will help you eat less while feeling fuller.
You can eat all parts of the broccoli from the florets to the stems to the leaves. It all does a body good!
Serve this with grilled chicken, pork, or steak. Add Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli to your rice and pasta dishes for healthy side. Serve with spaghetti and meatballs or with some coconut rice. Add a little butter, hot red pepper flakes, or shredded cheese to vary how it's served.
Storage & reheating
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat briefly in the microwave.
To freeze steamed broccoli once it is done cooking put in an ice water bath for a few minutes. Pat dry, then lay on a tray in the freezer until frozen solid.
Once frozen it can be moved to freezer bags or containers. Use within 6-8 months. Thaw in refrigerator, and reheat briefly int he microwave. Or put in your favorite oven-baked dishes!
How to video
More Instant Pot recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- 1 head broccoli
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water or minimum amount for your model Instant Pot
- Prepare the broccoli by cutting it into medium-sized florets.
- Add the water to the Instant Pot. Then add the prepared broccoli, salt, and pepper.
- Seal the lid and cook for zero-minutes followed by a quick release. The broccoli will cook in the time it takes the pot to come to pressure.
- If you model cannot be set to zero-minutes then set for 1-minute. Once the pot comes to pressure then cancel and do the quick release.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight for up to three days. Reheat briefly in the microwave.
- To freeze steamed broccoli once it is done cooking put in an ice water bath for a few minutes. Pat dry, then lay on a tray in the freezer until frozen solid.
- Once frozen it can be moved to freezer bags or containers. Use within 6-8 months. Thaw in refrigerator, and reheat briefly int he microwave.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!