Last Updated on January 6, 2019 by Tina
My oldest son has said since the wizened age of eight that butter makes the world go ’round, and duct tape holds it all together. I was so proud that at such a young age, my son was so practical and visionary. Sigh…
My go to pie pastry is butter crust, because I have found it is reliable like no other pie pastry. It’s never failed, and it’s always super flaky. You can use this on every recipe you have that asks for a pie pastry and not be disappointed. It’s a true work horse, and a high performer.
You only need flour, cold butter, salt, and a glass of ice water. This is crazy simple to do, no worries!
Combine the flour and salt. Cut the cold butter into tablespoons. At this point you can go straight to the mixer to beat together the ingredients, or use the pastry blender. Once the butter is incorporated into the flour, add ice water until it holds together.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and form into a disc. Refrigerate for one hour prior to rolling out to allow the gluten in the flour to rest.
Once rested, roll out as needed. I use a French pin for rolling out as it turns out a nice round disc with little effort.
Bake in your favorite recipe. Can be stored in the refrigerator for one week, and in the freezer for up to one month. You might even consider making a Double Coconut Cream Pie with this yummy pie crust!
Butter Pie Crust Pastry
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick) cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ice water for binding
- Put flour and butter into a bowl or mixer. If in a bowl, use a pastry blender to cut butter into flour until you have pea-sized pieces. If using a mixer then at medium speed combine until you have the same size pieces.
- Add just enough ice water to combine. Cover with plastic, and rest for one hour in the refrigerator.
- Roll out on a flour surface into a circle. Roll onto your rolling pin, and then roll out into the pie plate. Refrigerate 20 minutes prior to baking or filling.
- Cook according to your recipe. For a baked pie shell, bake in a preheated oven at 400-degrees for 20 minutes or until done.
*Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Usual Suspects