Instant Pot Breakfast Burritos are a quick and easy breakfast meal to make it easy to feed a crowd or meal prep for the week with done in 30-minutes! Fresh simple ingredients combine to give you a great start your day.
Why this works
- Versatile - Instant Pot Breakfast Burritos are easy to pull together with what you have in your fridge just like egg bites.
- No silicone mold, no problem - if you don't have a mold just cook the egg mixture doing the pot-in-pot cooking method like my frittata recipe.
- Stock that meal prep - These are super easy to make and a little bit of time in the kitchen will pay off later. Make a batch for this week, and freeze another for later. Make some Buffalo chicken meatballs for lunch and you'll be all set!
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Cheese - I use two kinds of cheese in this recipe. Shredded cheese for the egg mixture and then nacho cheese in the burrito wrap. The shredded cheese can be anything from cheddar to pepper jack.
- Meat - you can be creative here and used cooked breakfast sausage, bacon, ham, turkey, or chorizo.
- Vegetables - you can mix and match with your favorites here or just clean out the vegetable drawer.
- Tortillas - I find a medium-sized flour tortilla recipe works best for this recipe.
How to make this
Step 1: Prepare the egg filling
In a medium bowl scramble the raw eggs. Add the milk, garlic powder, hot sauce, ground mustard, salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning or all-purpose seasoning. Whisk these ingredients together really well.
To this whisk into the egg mixture the sliced green onions, diced bell pepper, cooked breakfast sausage, and shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.
Lightly spray the inside of the silicone trays with cooking spray or olive oil. Give the egg mixture a little whisk just before pouring it into the molds. Fill the molds halfway at least, if you go over a little that is fine.
Cover lightly with foil and stack on top of you pressure cooker rack with each one set at an angle on top of the other.
Add the minimum amount of water for your model.
- 3-Quart Instant Pot - ½ cup
- 6-Quart Instant Pot - 1 cup
- 8-Quart Instant Pot - 2 cups
Seal the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 10-minutes followed by a 5-minute natural pressure release.
The previous directions for this post used the steam function to cook them. If your model's steam function utilizes pressure to cook then you can follow these directions if you like. If not then the eggs will not cook all the way. Set your instant pot to the 'Steam' setting on high pressure for 8-minutes followed with a 10-minute natural pressure release.
Step 2: Fill and roll the breakfast burritos
Remove the cooked eggs from the egg molds. Cool them completely for best results for meal prep. Assembling them hot will result in a soggy tortilla when you reheat later.
Add a heaping tablespoon of nacho cheese to the center of the tortilla the spread it around a little. Be sure to keep at least one-inch of space left to the edge of the tortilla.
Take one of your cooked egg sticks and place on top of the tortilla. Fold the sides of the tortilla in, and then roll it tightly away from you to make the burrito finishing seam side down.
Repeat this process with the remaining eggs until you have rolled all of the Instant Pot Breakfast Burritos.
Be careful you don't overfill your burrito as it won't roll or keep together properly. If you want you can add a little additional protein by adding ½ cup of cottage cheese. The cook time stays the same, you'll just have an extra mold to fill.
You can also add frozen or refrigerated hash browns to this. I would recommend diced potatoes, and would add them to the filling at the same time as the sausage.
Cool the egg mixture and fillings completely. Roll them up tight, and wrap in plastic wrap then foil.
Cold tortillas are difficult to work with, so you want to make sure they are either room temperature or warmed for a few seconds in the microwave.
You can definitely toast these on medium-high heat on a griddle or in a skillet until a little browned on each side.
These Instant Pot Breakfast Burritos are great on their own for meal prep or wonderful paired with fruit. You can have these for breakfast and some cold yogurt for snack later.
Storage & Reheating
To reheat in the microwave remove from plastic wrap and foil then put on plate, and reheat for 30 seconds at time until it reaches the desired warmth. These can be kept in a storage bag or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
You can freeze these for up to two months. To reheat from frozen place in microwave to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. If thawed first then cook for 30 seconds up to one minute.
How to video
More breakfast recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Breakfast Burritos
- 6 eggs whole
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Creole seasoning or all-purpose seasoning
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup breakfast sausage cooked
- ¼ cup green onions sliced
- ¼ cup bell pepper diced
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup nacho cheese
- Whisk together in a medium bowl the eggs. Then whisk together the milk, hot sauce, and seasonings.
- To this whisk or fold in the cheddar cheese, green onion, and bell pepper. Then stir in the cooked sausage.
- Lightly coat the silicone molds with cooking spray, Pour in the egg mixture to halfway in the molds. May fill slightly more if needed.
- Cover the molds with aluminum foil, and stack cross-wise on top of the pressure cooker rack. Add the minimum amount of water to the Instant Pot, and then lower in the prepared molds.
- Seal the lid and cook on high pressure for 10-minutes, and then follow with a 5-minute natural pressure release.
- The previous directions for this post used the steam function to cook them. If your model's steam function utilizes pressure to cook then you can follow these directions if you like. If not then the eggs will not cook all the way. Set your instant pot to the 'Steam' setting on high pressure for 8-minutes followed with a 10-minute natural pressure release.
- Remove from the pressure cooker, and cool for a few minutes. Invert onto the foil to remove, and they should slide out easily. Cool completely as a hot filling will make the end result of the burrito soggy.
- Place one heaping tablespoon or so of nacho cheese into the center of your tortilla leaving one-inch of space from the edges, Place one cooked egg stick on top, fold the sides of the tortilla, and then roll tightly until folded completely ending seam side down.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container or gallon bag for up to one week individually wrapped in plastic wrap then foil. To reheat remove from plastic wrap and foil then heat in microwave.
- You can freeze these for up to two months. To reheat from frozen place in microwave to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. If thawed first then cook for 30 seconds up to one minute.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!
Leave a Reply