Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff is my favorite hamburger helper recipe. An easy recipe that is done in 30 minutes, and is perfect for a busy weeknight. An all-in-one dish that's full of flavor, budget-conscious and kid-friendly! If you're looking for a classic Hamburger Helper recipe then check out my Instant Pot Cheeseburger Cheeseburger Pasta.
Why this works
- Goes a long way - This recipe makes enough to feed a crowd! Heating up leftovers are a cinch, and taste just as delicious the second time around just like my Instant Pot Ziti.
- One-Pot meal - saute the meat and then add the rest of the ingredients for a quick dump-and-go meal. Add a little garlic bread to this for a side dish!
- In the know - of where you're ingredients are coming from for your Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Ground beef - I typically use an 80/20 mixture as this gives enough fat for flavor and moisture but won't have my meal swimming in grease. You can also use a 90/10 mixture as well.
- Pasta - any pasta with a minimum cook time of 8 minutes will work with the cook time for this recipe for Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff.
- Ground beef - you can also use ground chicken or turkey.
- Pasta - if you choose a pasta with a minimum cook time lesser or greater than 8 minutes you will need to adjust your pressure cooking time. When swapping make the cooking time half the minimum cook time on the box less one minute for best results.
- Cream cheese and sour cream - can use full fat, reduced, or fat free.
- Mushrooms - you can use canned mushrooms instead of fresh.
- Onions - you can use ¼ cup of dried onions in place of the fresh one.
How to make this
Step 1: Season and cook the beef
Preheat the Instant Pot on saute mode. Add some oil, and the chopped onions to the pot. Cook for a few minute until the onions soften.
Add the ground beef, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink. Once done drain any excess grease, and then return to pot. You don't want excess grease making the Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff an unpleasant meal.
Step 2: Add pasta and cook
Add the mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, Ketchup, Mustard, Creole Seasoning, pepper, and smoked paprika to the cooked ground beef. Stir these ingredients. This will be your bottom layer.
Top the mixture with the uncooked pasta, and pour the beef broth in. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes and follow with a controlled quick release. A controlled release means that you want to release the pressure in short bursts. DO NOT release the pressure all at once, as this will allow hot pasta liquid to escape. This will make a mess, and possibly cause injury.
Note: This cooking time for this recipe is based on an original time on the box of 8-10 minutes.
Step 3: Finishing the Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
Add in the cream cheese, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup. Turn the Instant Pot on to saute. Stir until cream cheese is melted and ingredients combined.
If you have a bunch of browning on the bottom of the liner add a little beef broth to the ground beef mixture before adding the pasta. Once you add that cook on saute for a few minutes to deglaze the liner which will avoid any chance of a burn notice.
This recipe was tested in a 6-quart, and I would not recommend doubling this recipe this unless using an 8-quart pot. Doubling would pasta would result in there likely not being enough room for everything to fit.
If for some reason the pasta is not done, likely they were not covered completed during cooking. Cook on saute for a few minutes to complete the cooking. To avoid this be sure to pat down the pasta in the broth prior to pressure cooking.
Yes, if you want to add red wine. Some people like the added layer of flavor that this brings to the dish. Add ½ cup after ground beef has been cooked prior to adding any other ingredients. Cook on saute until reduced by one-third to one-half.
Yes, you can substitute greek yogurt for the sour cream in equal amounts.
Yes, you can make this on the stove. Make the pasta separately. Omit the 3 cups of the beef broth. Once ground beef is cooked, then add cooked pasta, and remaining ingredients. Combine all the ingredients well.
Add some peas, corn, or peas and carrots to get your vegetables. If canned then just add and heat on saute. If frozen, then cook and add to dish. Or, serve with a side salad.
Storage & Reheating
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Reheat in the microwave, and if it seems a little dry then add a little milk or broth to fix.
Freeze for up to three months, and thaw in refrigerator prior to reheating.
More weeknight dinners
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 2 pounds ground beef 80/20 or 90/10 mixture, can substitute with ground chicken or turkey
- 1 onion diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced, can substitute with canned
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoon yellow mustard can substitute Dijon
- ½ teaspoon Creole seasoning can substitute seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika can substitute with regular paprika
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni or any pasta with an 8-10 cook time
- 4 cups beef broth I used unsalted, if using salted then cut down the amount of salt used
- 4 ounces cream cheese can use full fat, reduced fat, or fat free
- ½ cup sour cream can substitute with plain Greek yogurt
- 2 10.5 ounces each cream of mushroom soup
- Turn Instant Pot on saute mode to preheat. Add some oil, and the diced onions. Cook until softened or about two minutes.
- Add the ground beef, and all the seasonings. Cook until no longer pink.
- Turn off saute, and add the Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and yellow mustard. Stir together.
- Add uncooked pasta as a second layer in pot. Pour the beef broth on top of the pasta. Pat down the pasta so it is covered with the broth.
- Put the lid on, and turn the vent to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes followed by a quick release. When quick releasing you should do this in short bursts to avoid hot pasta water from escaping the vent, spraying all over the place.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot. Turn on saute mode until cream cheese is melted, and all ingredients are combined.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Reheat leftovers in microwave.
- This can be frozen for up to three months, and thawed in the refrigerator. Reheat in microwave.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!