Last Updated on January 6, 2019 by Tina
It's cold and wintry, a teeth-chattering 37 degrees where I'm at. I actually had to wear a jacket AND close-toed shoes! The deep South experienced it's first snowfall in years as far as north Florida. We got a fine rainy drizzle where we are, and grey skies. I decided to make some cornbread apple stuffing to go in a pork loin for dinner.
First, you'll need to start by making some cornbread. Using the oven and heating up the kitchen when it's cold is a great idea I thought.
I used two boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix, and followed the directions on the box. I like to bake my cornbread in a large buttered cast iron pan. This gives the bread a nice crust.
You will need one pound of sage pork sausage, one onion, two stalks of celery, and an apple. I used a golden delicious apple for this recipe, because that's just what I happened to have on hand at the time.
Cook the sausage until done (no longer pink), and then set aside on a plate. While this is cooking you will need to chop your onion and slice your celery. Add this to the pan after the sausage has been removed. Season with salt, black pepper, ground thyme, and cayenne pepper. Cook the veggies until softened.
I use ground thyme because I think it turns the flavor notch up. If you don't have this in your spice cabinet then regular or fresh can be used.
Shred the apple with the skin on...
Add the apple and nutmeg to the pan and cook for a few minutes to soften then add back the sausage.
After the cornbread is done cooking, and has a about 15 minutes to cool break up with a spatula into coarse bread crumbles.
Combine all ingredients and moisten with chicken broth until it comes together without being soggy. Grease a 9 x 13 pan, and preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Bake for 40 minutes then serve immediately. I used this to stuff a pork loin, so I put the stuffing in the loin without baking as I was roasting the loin and intended to cook it all together.
Cornbread Apple Stuffing Recipe
2 boxes of cornbread mix
½ cup of milk
1 pound sage pork sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery sliced
Salt and black pepper to taste
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon ground thyme
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup unsalted chicken broth
- Prepare cornbread mix according to package instructions. Once baked set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Heat a medium skillet and cook pork sausage until done. It will be done once it is no longer pink in the middle.
- Cook onion and celery in pan. Add salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and ground thyme. Cook until soft, about five minutes.
- Shred apple with skin on then add to pan with nutmeg. Cook for two minutes to soften then add sausage back to pan and combine.
- Crumble cornbread, add sausage-vegetable mixture, and enough chicken broth to combine.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
*Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.