Instant Pot Chocolate Strawberry Cake is an easy and delicious way to learn how to make cake in the Instant Pot. This recipe features a fudgy chocolate cake with strawberry pie filling, fresh sliced strawberries, and topped with a cool whipped topping. This is a great way to celebrate summer!
MY OTHER RECIPES
Has box cake mix always been around?
Rumor has it that boxed caked mix was invented after WWII, however, it was born around the 1930's from some extra molasses. P. Duff and Sons, a Pittsburgh company, first applied for a patent using dehydrated flour to make pastry products.
Duff's recipe called for equal parts wheat flour and molasses. During the depression families wanted cake. However, making it from scratch required keeping a number of expensive ingredients on hand that had to be carefully measured out for baking.
Of course, given that one only had to add water and eggs this became an instant hit! Two familiar favorites were the first, Devil's food and spice cake. If you'd like to read more head over to Bon Apetite to check out this article.
Prepping the cake batter
In a large bowl or mixer, combine the box cake mix (I used Devil's food cake mix), water, oil, eggs, and chocolate syrup. I always use olive oil in my cakes as I find it makes it nice and moist. If you are not using olive oil then I suggest you use canola or vegetable oil. Mix these ingredients together well.
Baking the cakes in the pressure cooker
I used stackable cooking inserts, or pot-in-pot pans, for this recipe. Grease both pans, and fill evenly with the prepared cake batter. Gently tap the pans on the counter to get rid of excess air bubbles.
Stack the cooking pans, and cover with their lid. Add 1 ½ cups of water to your pressure cooker for cooking, and place the pans in with the carrier they came with.
Cook on high pressure (normal) for 50 minutes and follow with a 45 minute NPR or full NPR.
Once done cooking, remove from pressure cooker to cool on wire racks for 15 minutes. Remove from pans, and allow to cool completed on racks.
Finishing the chocolate cake
Once the cake has cooled completely it's time to layer, frost, and decorate. Place one cake layer on a plate. Top with thinly sliced strawberries in one layer, and then top with the strawberry pie filling.
Place the second layer of chocolate cake on top. I had some big strawberries, so I tried my had at making strawberry roses for the first time. They turned out great, and I used this great tutorial here.
I frosted with one small container of thawed in the refrigerator whipped topping. I then topped with some store-bought chocolate curls, and then decorated with fresh sliced berries.
If you can't find already made then take a chocolate bar and using a vegetable peeler peel curls of chocolate.
Once done serve immediately, or store in the fridge for up to one week.
Instant Pot Chocolate Strawberry Cake
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix 15.25 ounce box
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup olive oil can substitute canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup chocolate syrup
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Cake Topping and Filling
- ½ cup Strawberry pie filling
- 1 quart Fresh strawberries sliced, may use less
- 8 ounces Frozen whipped topping thawed in refrigerator
- Chocolate curls
- 1 ½ cups water pour into Instant Pot liner for cooking
- Combine all cake batter ingredients except chocolate chips in large mixing bowl or mixer. Mix well until combined. Fold in chocolate chips with spoon or spatula.
- Grease both stackable cooking inserts, or pot-in-pot pans, and stack into carrier. Pour 1 ½ cups of water into Instant Pot liner, and put pans into pressure cooker.
- Seal pressure cooker, and cook on high pressure (normal) for 50 minutes then follow with a 45 minute NPR or full NPR.
- Remove from Instant Pot, and cool on wire racks for ten minutes then remove from pans. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Put on cake layer on a plate, and top with sliced strawberries. Top with pie filling, and then put the other cake layer on top.
- Frost with thawed frozen whipped topping. Top with chocolate curls and decorate with berries. See post for link on tutorial on how to make strawberry roses.