Instant Pot Green Beans are a quick and easy side dish that is perfect for any holiday or special occasion. This recipe is a dump and start recipe that can be made in a few minutes. Get the taste of Southern-style green beans with healthier ingredients! These pair perfectly with mashed potatoes and brisket.
Why this works
- So quick - just blink your eyes and these are done! A lot like my Instant Pot Shrimp.
- Dump and go - just put the ingredients in the pot and hit the go button.
- Classic - this pairs well with everything from Salisbury steak to holiday ham!
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Green beans - should be fresh and free of blemishes. The can be done whole with just the ends trimmed. Or, they can be snapped or cut into pieces.
- Onion - this is an optional ingredient.
- Chicken broth - you can use vegetable or mushroom broth instead if you prefer.
How to make this
Start by trimming off the ends of the green beans, and snap the beans. Snap the beans by bending the beans and breaking the bean into roughly one-inch or so pieces. They do not have to be perfectly sized pieces.
Next, dice a small onion. Add both the green beans and the onion to the pot. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the mixture.
Pour chicken broth over everything. Cook on high pressure for 2-minutes with a 3-minute natural pressure release.
If you want crispy green beans, drain after cooking, and saute for a few minutes in olive oil. They can also be left whole, and just the stem removed. These can be made ahead and reheated while still retaining their flavor. If you want super crispy green beans then cook for zero minutes with a quick release.
No, you do not need to soak them. You can as the purpose of doing this is to reduce cooking time. This is not necessary with the pressure cooker.
Yes, because the end of the stem where the bean was attached to the plant needs to be removed.
Storage & Reheating
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Reheat in microwave or in Instant Pot on warm.
More side dish recipes
How to video
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Green Beans
- 1 pound green beans trimmed and snapped
- 1 onion diced, optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder may be reduced to ½ teaspoon if desired
- 1 cup chicken broth for Instant Pot
- Trim and snap green beans add to Instant Pot or large pot.
- Dice onion if using, and add to the Instant Pot or large pot with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add one cup of chicken broth. Seal lid, and cook on manual high pressure for two minutes. Do a natural pressure release for three minutes according to your manufacturers directions.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Don't forget to sign up for our email newsletter to receive recipes and updates from Monday is Meatloaf!