Homemade Pimento Cheese is very easy to make in about 10 minutes and is way better than any store-bought version you'll find. Pimento cheese is Southern cheddar cheese and pimento spread or dip. It's great for a sandwich, on a cracker, in your wrap, or with some fresh vegetables.
Why this works
- Classic- this homemade pimento cheese is made just like your Southern grandma used to make it! Almost as good as her biscuits and gravy! A blend of sharp and medium cheddar cheese and bursting with pimento flavor.
- Few ingredients - this has just a few ingredients that are easy to find at the store that really delivers on flavor. Pair this with some Boursin cheese to be the hit of the party!
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Cheddar cheese - I recommend using a blend of sharp and medium cheddar cheese. If you want more bite then go for extra sharp cheddar cheese. You should definitely shred your own instead of buying pre-shredded as it makes a huge difference in flavor.
- Pimento - I use a lot of pimento in this. I buy them whole and then chop them in the food processor. You can also use the already chopped ones.
- Mayonnaise - I like to use Duke's or my homemade mayonnaise.
- Hot sauce - I normally use either Crystals or Cholula hot sauce.
How to make this
If your pimentos are not diced put those in the food processor to chop quickly. Shred your selected cheddar cheese.
Combine in a bowl the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, pimentos, and hot sauce. Cream all the ingredients together with a spoon or hand mixer.
Add the shredded cheddar cheese, and stir into the cream cheese mixture. You can serve right away but I like to chill it before serving.
Be sure to let the cream cheese come to room temperature prior to using it for this cheese dip. If you are short on time then microwave without the wrapper for 15-30 seconds prior to use.
To make the flavor a little different you can add cracked black pepper, sliced green onion, or Worcestershire sauce to the cheese spread.
To crank up the heat add more hot sauce, cayenne pepper, or chopped jalapeno to the homemade pimento cheese.
Palmetto is the brand name of the company that produces pimento cheese. They are the same cheese. The story goes that when they were naming the company from Pawley's Island, South Carolina that someone misspelled pimento.
Serve with crackers, on a biscuit, or as part of a vegetable tray. Sneak a little into your queso dip! Serve on a sandwich and get creative with a grilled pimento cheese sandwich. You can also use it to stuff jalapeno poppers, top your burger with it, or add it to your mac and cheese!
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Pimento cheese should not be frozen.
More appetizer recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Homemade Pimento Cheese
- In a large mixing bowl cream together with a spoon or hand mixer the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, and hot sauce.
- Shred the cheddar cheese, and stir into the cream cheese until combined.
- Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!