Last Updated on October 15, 2020 by Tina
Instant Pot Brisket is easy to make in the pressure cooker! This recipe takes just a few minutes of prep, a few ingredients, and yields a tender fall apart beef roast that is wonderfully seasoned. This is perfect served with my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes!
My Other Recipes
All about that brisket
Regardless of whether you're smoking it or simply braising it, brisket is a well-loved dish all over the globe. This cut of meat comes from the pectoral muscle of the cow, and is very tough due to how much it's used. This is also why it lends itself so well to a low and slow type of cooking method.
Typically, this is a large cut of meat that is sold in two cuts. The first cut called the flat which is lean and slices cleanly. The second is called the deck that is well-marbled, with more fat cap, and shreds well after cooking. Either one is great to use with this recipe.
Prep the brisket for cooking
This brisket pulls together so quickly it'll make your head spin! Season as liberally as you dare with Montreal Steak Seasoning...be sure to pat the rub on the meat so that it sticks well.
If doubling the recipe just with any other pressure cooker recipe, you will not need to increase the time. You don't necesarily need to increase the liquid unless you would like more gravy either.
Cut an onion in half, then slice. Throw this in the Instant Pot along with three cups of water, and the Better Than Bouillon Beef Base (no one is being compensated to mention this here, it just makes the recipe pretty yummy!). You can also use three regular bouillon cubes, or boxed broth.
Turn the Instant Pot on to saute, and dissolve the bouillon.
Slide the rack that came with your Instant Pot into all this mess, and gently set your seasoned brisket on top.
Cooking the Instant Pot Brisket
Seal the lid on your pressure cooker, and cook on high (normal) pressure for 70 minutes followed with a full natural pressure release (it's around the thirty minute mark on my IP-Duo 6-quart). Once done remove the lid, and put the brisket on a plate or platter with the rack.
Let's talk about gravy...
Set the Instant Pot to saute mode to heat up the broth to make gravy. Once it's heated up, add your cornstarch slurry to thicken! If you would like it thicker, do another round of this. 😉
Once done, slice the meat once it has had a few minutes to rest. Serve with the gravy, and some mashed potatoes.
Easy Instant Pot Brisket
- 2 pound brisket
- ¼ cup Montreal Steak Seasoning use only enough to cook
- 3 tbsp beef bouillon I used Better than Bouillon
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- Coat the brisket in Montreal Steak Seasoning, and set aside.
- Slice the onion, and put in the Instant Pot. Add the water, and the beef bouillon. Set to saute.
- Insert the rack in the pressure cooker, and then add the brisket on top. Close the lid, and cook on high (normal) pressure for 70 minutes, and follow with a full natural pressure release (about 30 minutes for my 6-quart).
- Remove brisket and rack from Instant Pot and set to the side on a plate. Make a cornstarch slurry in a small bowl with the cornstarch and water. Set the pressure cooker to saute, and once bubbling add the slurry to thicken. If you would like it thicker then add another round to the pot.
- Slice the brisket, and serve with gravy. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week.