Instant Pot Queso Dip is delicious but add a little leftover pulled pork and you have heaven! This is perfect for that next potluck or game day party. Filled with black beans, Rotel tomatoes, corn, pulled pork, and cheese this is sure to keep your guests happy.
Monday is Meatloaf is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
What's in a Queso anyhow?
Queso is generally considered to be a Tex-Mex or Southwestern United States dish. It is thought to be influenced by Queso Flameado which originates from Chihuahua, Mexico. One origin story has restaurant owner Otis Farnsworth coming up with a chili con queso for his menu which became one of his most popular dishes.
According to Eater, the first version in a printed cookbook appeared in the 1920's in a San Antonio women's organization cookbook. The dip is usually made with American cheese or Veleveeta which came along in the 1930's. When Carl Roetelle introduced his tomatoes with green chiles or as we know them Ro-Tel tomatoes it was a match made in queso heaven.
Gather your ingredients
This goes really quick especially when you've gathered your ingredients ahead of time.
Cooking the Queso dip
I use both my 6-Quart Instant Pot Duo, and my 3-Quart Instant Pot Duo to make this recipe. Whichever size you use start by pressing the saute button to preheat the pressure cooker. Add in a little oil, and then the diced jalapeno, and onion. Cook for a few minutes until softened.
Add the garlic, and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add in the smoked paprika, rinsed black beans, drained corn, shredded cheddar cheese, and cubed Velveeta cheese. Stir until the cheese is smooth and melted.
Next, fold in the pulled pork and stir until combined. You can substitute other types of meat or leave it out. This is also delicious with chorizo, cooked ground beef, or shredded chicken.
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. If serving at a party or potluck, use the keep warm function to keep this chip ready! 😉
Instant Pot BBQ Queso Dip
- 1 jalapeno seeded with membrane removed, finely diced
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 10 ounces Rotel tomatoes
- 15.25 ounce canned corn drained
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 pound Velveeta cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese can substitute pepper jack, or colby jack
- 2 cups pulled pork can substitute cooked chorizo, ground beef, or shredded chicken or this can be omitted
- Set Instant Pot to saute, and then add a small amount of oil. Add in the jalapeno and onion then cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add in the Velveeta, shredded cheese, Rotel tomatoes, smoked paprika, corn, and black beans. Stir until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Fold in the pulled pork, and stir until combined.
- Serve immediately, and switch to the keep warm function. Can store in an airtight container for up to one week.