This Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto is a restaurant-quality dish that is done in no time! Risotto is a dish I have all the time now that the cook time is reduced so drastically with the pressure cooker. Done in about 20-minutes you can add your favorite protein to make it a meal!
Why this works
- Time saver - this drastically cuts down the cook time needed to make risotto! So does my conversion of French bread to the Instant Pot!
- No constant stirring - you can go relax since you don't have to stand at the stove just stirring the risotto while it cooks. I love that this version is so hands off just like my French dip sandwich recipe.
- Versatile and easy - you can change this up to add a protein like chicken or shrimp. You can also add in extra veggies like peas or fresh green onions at the end. Make it up like burrito bowl like my beefy rice-a-roni bowls too! Or serve it with some cube steak and gravy.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Arborio Rice - this is a special rice with a high starch content that gives risotto that signature creamy texture. In a pinch you can use jasmine or basmati rice instead.
- Chicken broth - I like to use low-sodium or unsalted. You can also use vegetable broth.
- Mushrooms - can be fresh or canned. I would use button or Bella mushrooms for this recipe.
- Parmesan cheese - freshly grated is incredible but pre-shredded or the grated variety will work well for this mushroom risotto.
- Heavy whipping cream - you can also use half-and-half or milk.
How to make this
Step 1: Prepping and cooking the risotto
Heat the Instant Pot on saute. Add the olive oil, and onions. Saute until softened.
You can choose to add the mushrooms at this point to saute, but if you forget them like I did you can throw them in raw or cook on the stove top.
Next add in the garlic, and cook until fragrant or about 30 seconds. Pour some of the chicken broth and deglaze the pan. Once the pan is deglazed add in the remaining chicken broth, and Arborio rice.
Stir in the salt, pepper, ground thyme, and parsley. If the mushrooms are not already added stir those in as well.
Cook on high pressure for 6-minutes followed by a quick release.
Step 2: Finishing the risotto
Once the pressure is released, and the lid is removed give the risotto a quick stir.
Turn the Instant Pot on to saute then add the butter, heavy whipping cream, and Parmesan cheese. Stir until everything is melted and combined.
Add some peas or cooked rotisserie chicken at the end to make this Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto a one-pot meal. Using shallots instead of onions will give the dish a nice lift. If you like wine in your risotto then use ¼ cup to deglaze the pot then reduce by half. If using wine, then reduce the broth by the same amount.
Yes, risotto can be made up to three days in advance of when you need it making this a great make ahead dish.
It is not necessary to rinse the Arborio rice prior to cooking risotto.
You will need to cook it a little bit longer.
Serve the Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto with a pot roast, or sous vide chicken for a complete meal. An addition of a fresh green beans and French bread would be delightful. This is great served with some orange tilapia.
Storage & reheating
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container or bag for up to one week.
Can be frozen for up to three months but will not be the same quality as fresh. Thaw in the refrigerator, and add liquid as needed when reheating
How to video
More Instant Pot side dishes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
- 1 cup arborio rice dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for sauteeing
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced, button or Bella mushrooms, may use canned
- 2 cups chicken broth can also substitute vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter I used unsalted
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream can also substitute half-and-half or milk
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the Instant Pot to saute. Add the olive oil, and onion. Saute until softened then add the garlic. Saute until fragrant or about 30 seconds.
- Mushrooms can be sauteed in the pot or seperately. They can also just be added to the pot with the below ingredients.
- Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan. Add the arborio rice, mushrooms, ground thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together.
- Cook on high pressure for 6-minutes and follow with a quick release.
- Once the pressure is released, remove the lid, and stir the risotto.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute then add the butter, heavy whipping cream, and Parmesan cheese. Stir until everything is melted and combined.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Can be frozen for up to three months but will not be the same quality as fresh.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!