Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl is a delicious low carb that comes together in 30 minutes in one pot! A healthy meal that uses ground chicken or pork with coleslaw mix and Asian seasonings come together for a meal that is just as good as takeout!
What's in an egg roll?
An egg roll is a deep fried appetizer generally filled with pork, chicken, or shrimp with cabbage as the main filling. It is generally dipped in hot mustard, soy, or duck sauce. According to Wikipedia this has been a staple of Chinese American cuisine since the 1930's.
The origins of the dish are hotly disputed and uncertain. They resemble spring rolls but are different. It is thought they were invented in New York City during the 30's by either chef Lung Fong of Lung Fong's or Henry Low of Port Arthur. Low's recipe was printed in a 1938 cookbook but did not contain cabbage.
Preparing the ground chicken or pork
Let's get this egg roll party started! Set your Instant Pot to the saute function to preheat. You can use either a 6-Quart Instant Pot Duo or 3-Quart Instant Pot Duo for this recipe.
Add either stir fry oil (which is wonderfully fragrant) or olive oil to the pot. Add the sliced green onions, and mushrooms to the pot then cook until slightly softened. Add the minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
The mushrooms are optional. Some other ideas to add to the egg roll mixture would be water chestnuts, sliced celery, or Bok choy.
Add to this the ground chicken or pork. Add the soy sauce (I used reduced sodium), pepper, hot red pepper flakes, sherry vinegar (can substitute rice wine vinegar), and fish sauce. Stir and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
Once cooked add in chicken broth and the bag of coleslaw mix. Cook for two minutes.
Finishing the dish
Place lid on Instant Pot and lock into place. Set to manual high pressure cook for zero minutes. (Yes, that is absolutely a thing! :)) Once finished do a two minute natural pressure release.
This can be eaten alone or over rice or cauliflower rice. You can also crisp your own egg roll chips. To do this cut raw egg roll wrappers in triangles by cutting on the diagonal. Fry lightly in a large frying pan on the stove top.
Can I make this on the stove?
Yes, you definitely can make this on stove top very easily. To prepare on the stove simply saute and cook all ingredients in a large frying pan according to the directions in the post. At the end cover for a few minutes to wilt the cabbage.
How to make this
Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to one week. For more healthy meal prep options or weeknight dinners check out Instant Pot Quick Easy Shrimp Scampi Recipe, Instant Pot Quick Stir Fry Bowls, or Instant Pot Beef Tips!
Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound ground chicken can also use pork or turkey
- Stir Fry Oil or Olive Oil for frying
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- ½ cup mushrooms minced
- ⅓ cup green onions sliced
- 16 ounces prepackaged coleslaw mix
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Set Instant Pot to saute to preheat. Add stir fry oil or olive oil to pan. Add ground chicken, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, pepper, hot red pepper flakes, fish sauce, sherry vinegar, mushrooms, and green onions. Cook until pork is no longer pink.Â
- Add coleslaw mix, and chicken broth to pan. Stir well.
- Place lid in place and lock. Set to Manual High Pressure for zero minutes, and then quick release per the manufacturer's instructions.
- If preparing on the stove top then cover for 3-5 minutes or until coleslaw mix has softened.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week.