Last Updated on May 25, 2020 by Tina
Beef Stroganoff is a classic family dish and when made in the Instant Pot is a flavorful, quickly prepared dish. This is great served with my Instant Pot Spiced Peach Crisp.
History of Beef Stroganoff
Beef stroganoff has it roots in mid-19th century Russia, and the original dish featured pieces of beef that have been lightly floured and seasoned, sautéed, and then cooked with mustard. Other variations of this dish add onions, mushrooms, and tomato paste. All the delicious variations are finished with sour cream.
Depending on where you might be a lot of regional differences are incorporated. This dish was extremely popular in 1950's - 1960's in the United States, and continues to be favorite family dish for many people. Served over egg noodles or mashed potatoes this is a filling meal for any Sunday dinner. You can read more at Wikipedia if you like!
Season the meat and prep the vegetables
Take the sirloin tip and trim the excess fat, and cube into roughly one-inch cubes. Either in a bowl or on the cutting board dust the meat with the salt, pepper, and smoked paprika then toss to coat. Set aside for about 5-10 minutes while you prep the vegetables. Dice one onion, and slice the mushrooms.
Cook the beef stroganoff
Set the Instant Pot to saute, and add a little olive oil to the pot. Add the onions and mushrooms and saute a few minutes until softened. Next add the seasoned beef and saute until brown.
Add the tomato paste, Dijon mustard, ground thyme, and beef broth. Stir until combined.
Seal lid on the pressure cooker, and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release. Once done turn back on to saute, and add the sour cream. Stir to incorporate, and saute until combined stirring frequently for a few minutes.
Additional tips for a great beef stroganoff
You can substitute the ground thyme for a bunch of fresh thyme to add some freshness.
To cook on the stovetop, just follow the directions and simmer for 1 ½ hours adding the sour cream at the end to finish.
This recipe can be doubled, but keep the same cook time.
Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Can be served immediately or up to one week in an airtight container.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1 ½ pounds sirloin tip beef trimmed, and cut into one-inch cubes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika can substitute with regular or hungarian sweet
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp ground thyme can substitute with a few sprigs of fresh
- 2 cups unsalted beef broth
- 4 ounces sour cream
- Season beef with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Set Instant Pot to saute, add some olive oil to pot. Saute onions and mushrooms until softened then add beef to brown.
- Add beef broth, tomato paste, ground thyme, and Dijon mustard then stir to combine.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes then follow with a 10 minute natural pressure release. Once done set the pressure cooker to saute, and add the sour cream. Stir constantly until combined and smooth.
- Serve immediately over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week.
- This recipe can be doubled with the same cook time.