Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is the easiest way to make this classic comfort food. The meat is tender and flavorful nestled in a delicious gravy. You can even make this a one-pot meal by adding egg noodles at the end.
Why this works
- Easy - Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is a classic dish with pantry staples that even a beginner can make to perfection. If you're looking for another beginner recipe try spaghetti and meatballs.
- One-pot meal - you can make this a one-pot meal by adding pasta at the end. If you like this kind of meal you'll love my Instant Dutch Oven Swedish Meatballs!
- Double it up - this can be easily doubled for a crowd like this chicken stir fry.
- Comfort food - this is one of the best meals when you need some warm calming food that is super filling just like my Instant Pot Beef Stew.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need for your homemade naan bread. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Beef - I used a sirloin for this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff which is very forgiving and will turn out right each time. You can also use anything that is labeled "stew meat" at the store.
- Sour cream - you can substitute plain Greek yogurt instead. If you are not a huge sour cream fan you can even cut the amount in half or use plain Greek yogurt instead.
- Mushrooms - you can use canned instead of fresh ones too.
- Tomato paste - I use double-concentrated tomato paste in the tube. If using out of the can then double the amount.
How to make this
Step 1: Cooking the meat
Take the sirloin and trim the excess fat, and cube into generous one-inch cubes. Slice the mushrooms, and dice the onions.
Set the Instant Pot or Instant Precision Dutch Oven to saute, and add a little olive oil to the pot. Add the onions and mushrooms and saute for a few minutes until softened.
Next, add the beef and toss with the salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Saute until lightly browned but be careful not to overcook.
Add the tomato paste, Dijon mustard, ground thyme, and two cups of beef broth. Deglaze the pot well. Stir until combined.
Instant Pot - Seal the lid on the pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes followed by a quick release.
Note: Normally we would do a natural pressure release but this is not necessary with this recipe. The meat will be very tender, and it will have additional cooking time with the pasta.
Instant Dutch Oven - Add all 4-cups of broth to the pot now instead of just two cups. Cook on manual mode 2 at 250 degrees for 1 ½ hours.
Step 2: Making the pasta
Instant Pot - Once pressure is released stir in the egg noodles. There should be enough liquid to just cover the noodles. If not, add additional beef broth. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes followed by a controlled quick release.
Note: A controlled quick release means you will release the pressure in short bursts. This will prevent hot liquid from coming out of the vent onto the countertop or yourself.
Instant Dutch Oven - Add the egg noodles during the last 15-minutes of cooking. The broth should just cover the noodles. Stir two or three times to ensure all the noodles are cooked through.
Step 3: Finishing the dish
Once the pasta is done cooking turn it back on to saute, and stir.
Add a bit of the warm broth to the sour cream, and stir. This will help the sour cream come to the temperature of the dish so it does not separate or curdles. Stir to incorporate, and saute until combined stirring frequently for a few minutes.
If the gravy is too thin then combine the cornstarch with the water. Add to the pot, and stir until the gravy has a creamy consistency.
You can substitute the ground thyme for a bunch of fresh thyme to add some freshness. To make a healthier version of this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff, use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, and serve over whole-grain noodles or cauliflower rice.
Yes, you can double this recipe. However, if using a 6-quart if you choose to add the noodles at the end then do not double these as they will likely expand too much to fit.
Yes, follow the direction as written but cook on simmer for 1 1-2 hours. Reduce the broth so the meat is just covered. Add the sour cream to finish at the end. Cook the pasta separately.
Yes, halve the ingredients or make less than half, and keep the same cooking time.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is usually served with pasta like egg noodles. However, it can be served with mashed potatoes or rice. Since this is a rich meal served with a green side like green beans, broccoli, or a salad. My Instant Pot French Bread is also a delicious side!
Storage & Reheating
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Reheat in the microwave. If the pasta is a little dry just add a little broth or milk when reheating.
Freeze for up to three months in a freezer bag or freezer container. Thaw in the refrigerator, and then reheat in the microwave. If you plan to freeze ahead for a full me then wait until you reheat to add the sour cream and noodles. Dairy products don't usually freeze well, and can separate.
More beef recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Main Stroganoff Ingredients
- 2 ½ pounds sirloin tip beef trimmed, and cut into one-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika can substitute with regular or hungarian sweet
- 1 onion diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme can substitute with a few sprigs of fresh
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 12 ounces egg noodles uncooked
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons water
Main Beef Stroganoff Instructions
- Season beef with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Set Instant Pot to saute, add some olive oil to pot. Saute onions and mushrooms until softened then add beef to brown. Once the beef is browned, turn off saute.
- Add two cups of beef broth, tomato paste, ground thyme, and Dijon mustard then stir to combine.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes then follow with a quick release.
Instant Dutch Oven Cooking Instructions
- Add all 4-cups of broth to the pot now instead of just two cups. Cook on manual mode 2 at 250 degrees for 1 ½ hours.
- Add the egg noodles on top of the meat. Add the remaining beef broth which should be enough to just cover the noodles. Tamp the noodles down with a spoon if necessary.
- Add the lid back onto the Instant Pot being sure to check that the seal is correctly seated in the lid. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes followed by controlled quick release. A controlled release means releasing the pressure in short burst so the pasta water/broth does not spew out of the vent.
Instant Dutch Oven Pasta Instructions
- Add the egg noodles during the last 15-minutes of cooking. The broth should just cover the noodles. Stir two or three times to ensure all the noodles are cooked through.
- Mix the sour cream in a small bowl with a small amount of the broth. This will bring the sour cream closer to the temperature of the stroganoff so it does not separate. Once combined stir in with the beef stroganoff.
- Make a cornstarch slurry with the cornstarch and water. Add enough to the mixture to make the broth a smooth gravy consistency.
Don't forget to sign up for our email newsletter to receive recipes and updates from Monday is Meatloaf!