Instant Pot Corned Beef is easy to make in the pressure cooker a great comfort food dinner. The meat turns out so tender after being braised in the pressure cooker in just two hours. Add some cabbage and carrots at the end for a complete meal!
MY OTHER RECIPES
What is corned beef anyhow?
Corned beef is usually thought of as a traditional Irish dish. Beef was a dish for royalty up until the 16th century that it became a commonplace dinner for all people. With lower salt prices cows came out of the dairy more, and were able to be featured as a main dish.
Salting meats has been a preservation method for a very long time. However, corned beef salted with large "kernels" of rock salt is where this dish takes it's name. The city of Cork, Ireland became the center of corned beef trade in the 17th century and the rest is history according to this article at Food & Wine.
Prep the beef for cooking
Let's learn how to cook corned beef in the Instant Pot the easy way!
There is very little prep involved with this comfort food dinner. Simply place your rack in the Instant Pot. Take your meat out of the package, which can be rinsed if you like. Rinsing will reduce the overall sodium of your dish a little. Take the spice packet, open, and sprinkle on top.
Take the sliced onion, carrot, and celery then add to the pressure cooker. Add one bay leaf.
What liquids should I use?
- Two cups of water, or
- Two cups of beef broth, or
- One cup of beef broth, and one 16 ounce beer of your choice,
- One cup of beef broth and one cup of water, or
- One cup of water, and one 16 ounce beer of your choice
Cooking the corned beef roast
After putting in your liquid, seal the lid. For a slice-able piece of beef cook on high pressure for 90 minutes and follow with a 20 minute natural pressure release. For meat that is fall apart tender cook for 120 minutes and follow with a full natural pressure release.
Prepping your vegetables
You may have noticed that we only put enough vegetables in the pressure cooker for added flavor. That is because you actually add the rest after you cook the beef.
We like to stick to cabbage for ours, however, you can also add chopped carrots and potatoes. While the roast is cooking prep your veggies. If you do the potatoes ahead of time you'll need to put them in some water so they don't brown.
Cooking the vegetables
Once the meat is done cooking and the pressure has fully released from the Instant Pot. Remove the piece of cooked corned beef from pressure cooker and put on a plate. Leave the broth, and rack in the pot.
Add the prepared vegetables to the Instant pot. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes and then follow with a quick release. Serve immediately or refrigerator in an airtight container for up to one week.
Easy Instant Pot Corned Beef with Cabbage
- 3 lbs corned beef
- 2 cups water see post above for liquid options
- 1 onion small and sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 head cabbage chopped into large pieces
- Insert rack into the Instant Pot. Place piece of corned beef (can be rinsed) on top of rack. Add prepared onion, carrot, celery, and bay leaf. Add water for cooking. Other liquid options are above in the post.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for either 90 minutes (sliceable) with a 20 minute natural pressure release, or 120 minutes (pull apart) with a full natural pressure release.
- Remove meat from pressure cooker and remove to plate. Keep all the liquid and other items in the the pot, and add the prepared cabbage.
- Seal the lid and cook for 10 minutes followed by a quick release. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week.