Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes are creamy and bursting with garlic-infused flavor. Done in one pot in under 30 minutes this will be a great go-to side dish. These fluffy potatoes are a comforting side dish that is perfect to serve with your favorite weeknight dinner.
Why this works
- One-pot meals - Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes are made entirely in one single pot from start to finish like Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs and are a real game changer.
- No drain, no peel - no need to dirty more dishes to drain these after steaming. You also don't need to worry about peeling the potato skins off unless you really want to just like with my classic Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
- Comfort food - mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food for an easy side dish that pairs with almost all your favorites like meatloaf or beef tips.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Waxy potatoes - in my humble opinion the best potatoes for mashed potatoes are Yukon gold potatoes. These make buttery mashed potatoes with a creamy texture. Red-skinned potatoes are also a good choice. Russet potatoes would be my last choice as these can get very gummy when overworked.
- Chicken broth - you can use chicken or vegetable broth. You can even use water.
- Sour cream - you can use full or reduced fat. If you aren't a fan of sour cream then you can use an equal amount of cream cheese, cottage cheese, or greek yogurt.
- Parmesan cheese - is delicious but you can put your own spin on this mashed potato recipe with pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese, or Colby jack cheese.
- Garlic cloves - use fresh whole cloves for this recipe as the already minced kind will not work the same.
- Fresh chives - no chives on hand, no worries! Slice up some green onions as a substitute.
How to make this
Peel your garlic cloves and place them on a cutting board. With the flat side of a knife or a mallet smash all the cloves of garlic then set aside.
Wash your potatoes and cut them into roughly the same size pieces. Roughly about one inch. This will cause all the cubed potatoes to cook in the same amount of time.
Note: if you are using a waxy potato like Yukon gold or red potatoes there is no need to peel since they have a thin skin. If using russet potatoes then you will want to peel them as the skins are thicker.
Place the cubed potatoes into the Instant Pot. Add the salt, smashed garlic, and chicken broth to the pot. If you do not want to use the chicken broth then substitute a cup of water instead. Stir everything to combine.
Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes followed by a quick release of pressure.
Once the pressure is released from the Instant Pot remove the lid. Do not drain the potatoes. Add in the butter, sour cream, and Parmesan cheese with the hot potatoes. Using a potato masher mash the cooked potatoes and the rest of the ingredients together in the inner pot.
Add the milk to achieve the desired consistency. You can also use heavy cream instead of milk. Add the chives at the end along with salt and black pepper to taste.
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes are an easy way to add flavor to your dinner. You can use fresh garlic or you can use roasted garlic cloves for this creamy potato recipe. Fresh herbs make a wonderful addition to this delicious side dish as well.
For extra smooth potatoes use a hand mixer or potato ricer for a creamier consistency.
They have a high starch content which is exactly what you need for delicious creamy mashed potatoes.
Serve these garlic mashed potatoes with cube steak and gravy, some sous vide chicken, Salisbury steak, or apple cider brined turkey. Leftover mashed potatoes can be used at room temperature for salmon patties or mashed potato cakes.
Storage & reheating
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Freeze for up to three months and thaw in the refrigerator.
More Instant Pot recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 2 ½ pounds waxy potatoes Yukon gold or red
- 6 garlic cloves smashed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth can substitute water or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese can substitute with cheddar or even Pepper jack
- ¼ cup sour cream can substitute with cream cheese or cottage cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Smash the garlic cloves and set aside.
- Cube the potatoes with the skin on into roughly even-sized cubes.
- Put the potatoes, salt, garlic, and chicken broth in the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes then follow with a quick release of pressure.
- Remove the lid once the pressure has fully released. Add in the butter, sour cream, and Parmesan cheese. Using a potato masher mash the potatoes.
- Stir in enough milk so the potatoes are the desired consistency. Stir in the chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to three months and defrost in the refrigerator.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!
Leave a Reply