Instant Pot Salisbury Steak is a classic retro meal that is quick to make a hearty stick-to-your-ribs meal. Served with a rich gravy with mushrooms and onions this will please your whole family. You'll want to make this flavorful Salisbury steak over and over again!
What is Salisbury steak?
A close cousin to the hamburger this meat and potatoes dish was brought to the port of New York in the late 19th century by German sailors from Hamburg, Germany. It was traditionally smoked and served with onions and bread crumbs for a filling quick meal for about 11 cents which was called a Hamburg steak.
Thanks to Dr. James Henry Salisbury this is where this hearty dish gets its name from. Due to the fact this dish is high in protein and easy to prepare for a lot of people he made sure that Civil War soldiers had this as part of their diet to fight malnutrition.
Why this works
- Cheap and easy- the ingredients for Instant Pot Salisbury Steak recipe are easy to find at your local grocery and you may likely have most or all the ingredients in the pantry like you might for my chicken meatballs. Since they are pantry ingredients the recipe cost is easy on the budget.
- Quick - pressure cooker Salisbury steak is a dish that pulls together very quickly and with the help of the Instant Pot you'll have dinner on the table in no time even though it seems like you worked all day on it like more easy Instant Pot recipes like beef tips recipe.
- Comfort food - a simple recipe that is one of the quintessential tv dinners that is a simple meal that is a favorite meal of mine.
Ingredients you need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Ground beef - I like to use an 80/20 mixture for this but you can also use lean ground beef. Be careful going with a fattier mixture as these can cause the finished dish to be very greasy.
- Mushrooms - either fresh or canned may be used for this recipe.
- Breadcrumbs - I use Italian seasoned breadcrumbs for my Salisbury steak patties but you can use plain as well. To make this gluten-free use pork rinds or gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Ketchup - you can also use tomato paste instead.
- Beef broth - I used unsalted for this recipe.
How to make this
Slice the onions and mushrooms then set aside.
Combine ground beef, eggs, black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, onion soup mix, and breadcrumbs in a large bowl.
Thoroughly mix all of the ingredients together. You will want to make sure the soup mix and especially the breadcrumbs are incorporated really well. This will prevent yucky clumps of either ingredient in any individual patty.
Form into meat patties that are roughly equal in size. You should have eight patties for your Salisbury steak recipe. Set aside the ground beef patties on a plate.
Preheat the Instant Pot to the Saute function. Once it is ready add a small amount of olive oil to the pot. Saute each patty on each side until it has a nice brown crust then remove to a plate.
You can also brown the patties in a large skillet on the stove top.
Instant Dutch Oven - use the sear/saute mode to brown the patties, and prepare the vegetables in the next step.
If needed add a little more oil to the Instant Pot to saute the vegetables. Add the sliced onions and cook until translucent.
Add the mushrooms and cook until softened. If there are brown bits on the bottom of the pot pour in a small amount of broth to deglaze the pan.
Next, add the ketchup and beef stock to the pot.
Stir everything together until the ketchup is dissolved. Layer the browned hamburger steak patties into the broth mixture. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes and follow with a 10-minute natural pressure release.
Once the patties are cooked in a small bowl combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Press saute on Instant Pot then stir in the cornstarch slurry to thicken the Salisbury steak gravy.
Instant Dutch Oven - cook on manual mode 2 at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. During the last few minutes of cooking add the cornstarch slurry.
You can spice up your Instant Pot Salisbury Steak by adding more spices or herbs. You can also make this a freezer meal by making the patties and freezing them raw for two to three months. They can be thawed in the refrigerator prior to cooking like normal.
Salisbury steak typically has more fillers and seasonings than hamburger steak. Hamburger steaks are simpler with fewer ingredients.
Salisbury steak is made from ground beef and then formed into a patty. Swiss steak is made from actual steak.
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak can be served over a fluffy bowl of mashed potatoes with green beans. With the delicious mushroom onion gravy this Instant Pot hamburger steak, it is also good served over rice or egg noodles.
Storage & reheating
Store in an airtight container for up to one week then reheat in the microwave. This can be frozen in containers or portioned in freezer bags for up to three months.
Instant Pot dinner recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package Onion Soup Mix
- olive oil for frying
- 1 onion sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced, can substitute with canned
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine together in a bowl or mixer the ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, dry onion soup mix, garlic powder, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Mix together, and form the ground beef mixture into eight patties then set aside on a plate.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute function, and brown patties for a couple of minutes on each side until browned.
- Add sliced onions and mushrooms to pot, and saute until softened.
- Add in ketchup and beef broth. Stir to combine or until the ketchup is dissolved.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, and do a natural pressure release for ten minutes.
- Make a cornstarch slurry with equal parts cornstarch and water to thicken the gravy. Set the Instant Pot to saute, and add the cornstarch slurry until the gravy is thickened to the desired consistency.
- Serve immediately, or store up to one week in an airtight container. This can be frozen for up to three months.
Instant Dutch Oven Instructions
- Follow the instructions above for the meat mixture and other ingredients.
- Brown the meat and cook the vegetables on sear/saute mode.
- Cook on manual mode 2 at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. Add the cornstarch slurry to the broth during the last few minutes of cooking.