This is one of my favorite chicken meatballs with sauce recipes. Flavorful chicken meatballs with goat cheese in a robust mushroom sauce that packs a punch with some heat from Harissa paste.
Tender chicken meatballs with sauce that you can easily make on a weeknight with minimal effort in your Instant Pot, or Instant Precision Dutch Oven.
Why this works
- Easy and quick - the chicken meatballs are really easy to put together, and you are quickly on your way to dinner. These are a lot like my buffalo chicken meatballs which are just as tasty as these!
- Pick your method - this chicken meatballs with sauce recipe is versatile, and I have a couple of different ways to make this dish. You can use your Instant Pot or Instant Precision Dutch oven just like my brats and sauerkraut recipe.
- Feed a crowd on a budget - you can fill up a lot of bellies with these chicken meatballs with just a few dollars. This is a great recipe to make for dinner, or use for your meal prep for lunch like chicken Caesar salad wraps. Serve this with some bacon wrapped asparagus for a special meal!
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Ground chicken - I used ground chicken but you could also grind your own meat from boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Goat cheese - I used crumbled goat cheese which worked out nicely, but you can it even if it isn't crumbled.
- Ground chicken - ground turkey will work just as well for this recipe.
- Goat cheese - you can also use feta cheese for this as well.
- Harissa paste - another chili paste like sambal oelek or Sriracha sauce will work in a pinch.
How to make this
Step 1: Making the chicken meatballs
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, Creole seasoning, bread crumbs, goat cheese, and Dijon mustard. Mix these ingredients together really well.
Form the meatballs so they are about 1-½ inches in diameter. The goal is that they are all roughly the same size so they cook evenly. I find it handy to use a meatball maker or mold for forming meatballs.
Set your oven to broil, and arrange the meatballs on cookie sheet. Broil for 10-minutes turning halfway through the cooking time. This will brown the meatballs, and help them hold their shape during cooking.
Step 2: Making the sauce and finishing the chicken meatballs
Add some butter to the pot for sauteeing.
Add in the sliced onions, and saute for a couple of minutes. When they begin to soften add the mushrooms. Cook until softened.
If you are using the Instant Pot to make this recipe, SKIP THIS STEP.
Add the four additional tablespoons of butter to the Instant Dutch oven, and allow it to melt. Add ¼ to ½ cup of flour to the vegetable butter mixture.
We are making a roux so add just enough flour to make a smooth paste for these chicken meatballs with sauce. Cook for a minute or two to avoid the dish having a "doughy taste" later.
Add the vegetable broth to the Instant Pot or the Instant Dutch oven and deglaze the bottom of the pot.
Pour in the Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and Harissa paste. Stir the mixture together until all the ingredients are incorporated. Put all the chicken meatballs in the liquid.
To cook in the Instant Dutch oven select the Braise option, and set the timer for one hour.
The total cook time for this recipe will be 30 minutes even though we are setting it to one hour which is the minimum time. When done add the heavy whipping cream if desired to the sauce.
To cook in the Instant Pot seal the lid and cook on high pressure for 15-minutes followed by a 10-minute natural pressure release. Add the heavy whipping cream, and then thicken the sauce.
To thicken the sauce, make a cornstarch slurry. Add to the pot while on saute, and cook until thickened to the desired consistency.
Be sure not to overmix the meatball mixture for these chicken meatballs with sauce as this may make them tough. Form evenly sized meatballs so they are all done at the same time.
When using the Instant Dutch oven it's best to use silicone, wood, or plastic utensils to prevent scratching the enamel on the pot.
The cast iron retains a lot of heat so it's common when using the sear/saute function to cancel the function towards the end of sauteeing as it may be to hot.
When browning the meatballs in the oven, line the baking sheet with foil to make clean-up easy.
If you don't want to use the oven to brown them then you can saute briefly in your pot. Either way your chicken meatballs with sauce will turn out delicious!
Yes, because they contain a lot less fat and sodium than their beef counterparts. Chicken meatballs have 60% less fat and 40% less sodium making this a smart choice for dinner or meal prep.
You can prepare the meatball mixture, and form the meatballs a day ahead to save time for dinner or when making enough for a crowd.
The usual culprit is adding to way to much bread crumbs to the mixture which will make them loose. Not enough bread crumbs will also prevent them from holding together.
These chicken meatballs with sauce can be served over mashed potatoes, rice, or egg noodles. You can also serve them along side a fresh green salad, or green beans.
Storage & Reheating
Store leftover chicken meatballs with sauce in an airtight container for up to one week. Leftovers can be frozen for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator, and then reheat in the microwave.
How to video
More dinner recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Chicken Meatballs with Mushroom Sauce
- 2 pounds ground chicken can use ground turkey
- 1 cup bread crumbs I use Italian seasoned
- 1 cup goat cheese crumbled or in the log, Feta cheese can also be used
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning any all purpose seasoning will work
- 1 onion sliced
- 8 ounces mushroom sliced, small
- 4 cups vegetable broth can use chicken broth
- ⅓ cup flour this ingredient is only for Instant Dutch oven users
- 4 tablespoons butter this ingredient is only for Instant Dutch oven users
- 2 tablespoons Harissa paste another chili paste like sambal oelek or Siracha can be used as a substitute
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream optional
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch this ingredient is only for Instant Pot users
- 3 tablespoons water this ingredient is only for Instant Pot users
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, goat cheese, and Creole seasoning. Mix together very well.
- Form in to 1- to 1-½ inch meatballs. Be sure all the meatballs are roughly the same size to encourage even cooking.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Broil for 10-minutes in the oven turning halfway through. Set aside when done.
- The meatballs can also be browned on saute in either your Instant Pot or Instant Dutch oven.
- Preheat your unit to saute. Add a small amount of butter or olive oil for frying to your Instant Pot or Instant Precision Dutch oven.
- Add the onions and saute for two minutes. Add the mushrooms, and saute for an additional two minutes.
- SKIP THIS STEP IF USING THE INSTANT POT - Add the additional 4 tablespoons of butter, and allow to melt in your Instant Dutch oven. Add the flour, and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes. This will eliminate any "doughy" tasting sauce later.
- Add the vegetable broth deglaze your pot. Add the Worcestershire sauce, Harissa paste, and pepper. Stir Well.
- Add the chicken meatballs back to your Instant Pot or Instant Dutch oven.
Instant Precision Dutch Oven Cooking Instructions
- Place the lid on the Dutch oven. Set to Braise for one 1 hour. However, we are only cooking these for 30-minutes.
- Add the heavy whipping cream if desired to make this a richer dish.
Instant Pot Cooking Instructions
- Seal the lid on your Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 15-minutes followed with a 10-minute natural pressure release.
- When finished make the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce to the desired consistency. Add the heavy whipping cream if desired to make this a richer dish.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to one week. Leftovers can be frozen for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator, and then reheat in the microwave.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!
Leave a Reply