Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi is a simple dish cooked in a wonderful buttery garlic white wine sauce. Make this a quick one-pot dinner from frozen by adding some pasta to complete the meal in under 30-minutes! Enjoy a restaurant quality dish for a weeknight meal or impress your friends at your next dinner party.
Why this works
- Simple and delicious - this Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi is amazingly easy with just a few pantry ingredients that turns out delicious. Add an appetizer of French onion soup to round out the meal!
- Impressive - wow your guests even when they are unexpected serve them up with some bacon wrapped scallops too! Or you can top your fettucine alfredo with these delicious shrimps.
- Speedy dinner - cooking this Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi from frozen has dinner on the table in minutes like my beefy rice-a-roni! Have this with some mushroom risotto and you're set for dinner.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card where you'll find exact measurements.
- Shrimp - I use frozen shrimp for this Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi that has been peeled and deveined with the tail-on. You can also use some with the tail off. I don't use defrosted or fresh shrimp for this recipe as it would be overcooked with the amount of time it takes for the pasta to finish.
- White wine - you can use your favorite here. I like to use a Pinot Grigio or a Chardonnay. You can also skip the wine if you do not drink, and substitute it with chicken broth or water instead.
- Pasta - you can use any pasta that has an 8-10 minute cook time or slightly less. This could include linguine, spaghetti, angel hair, thin spaghetti, rotini, or penne pasta.
- Shallots - add a nice flavor and lift to this dish. However, if you can't find them then green onions or finely diced Vidalia or Spanish onions can be used.
How to make this
Step 1: Make the scampi sauce
Dice the shallots and set aside. Preheat the Instant Pot on saute mode. Add in the butter and olive oil. Once the butter has melted cook the diced shallots until softened or about two minutes.
Add the minced garlic to the pot and cook until fragrant. Be careful not to brown or overcook the garlic as it will make the sauce bitter tasting.
Add the wine, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Deglaze the pot well. Cook until the wine has been reduced by half.
Step 2: Cook the shrimp and pasta
If you are just making the shrimp with no pasta then add ½ cup chicken broth then add in the frozen shrimp and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning. Cook on high pressure for 3-minutes followed by a quick release.
If using fresh shrimp, do not cook with pasta. Reduce cook time to 1-minute with a quick release.
To make this with pasta, break your pasta in half then lay it in the Instant Pot in a crisscross pattern. Add three cups of chicken broth, and top with the frozen shrimp and Old Bay seasoning.
Once done remove lid add the lemon juice and parsley. Toss everything together to combine.
Cook on high-pressure for 3-minutes followed by a controlled quick release.
Add a cornstarch slurry of equal parts cornstarch and water then add to thicken the sauce.
Be sure to use shrimp that is frozen. If you are just cooking the shrimp and want extra sauce then increase the broth from ½- to 1-cup. Fresh parsley gives the dish that little bit of extra. You can adjust the spice level by adding in more hot red pepper flakes if you like.
A cornstarch slurry made of equal parts cornstarch and water will thicken your sauce if it is to watery. Mix the cornstarch and water together then add until desired consistency is achieved.
A quick brine of salt and baking soda will give shrimp a crispier texture, and will help speed up the Maillard reaction.
Rinse shrimps in cold water to remove any loose shells bits, or stuff from the inside of the shrimp.
Storage & Reheating
Serve the Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi immediately, or store in an airtight container or plastic storage bag for up to three days. Reheat on stove in a small amount of oil, or in the microwave. If reheating in the microwave be careful not to overcook the shrimp. Stir it and check it frequently.
This can be frozen with or without pasta for up to two months in a freezer container or freezer bag. Thaw completely in the refrigerator then reheat per the above. Do not thaw seafood on the counter top. If the pasta is a little dry just add a little melted butter and olive oil to the dish.
How to video
More one-pot meals
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi
Shrimp Scampi and sauce ingredients
- 1 pound shrimp frozen, deveined - can be tail on or tail off
- ¼ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning can substitute with paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot fine dice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes Optional: add ¼ teaspoon for additional heat
- 2 tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ cup white wine can substitute with chicken broth
- ½ cup chicken broth for cooking shrimp dish only, may increase to one cup for extra sauce
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- ½ lemon juice only
Cornstarch slurry if needed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
Optional Ingredients if adding pasta
- 16 ounces linguine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Set Instant Pot to saute function, and melt butter with olive oil. Add diced shallots to pot and saute until softened.
- Add in salt, pepper, and hot red pepper flakes. Stir, and cook for a few seconds. Add in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant or about 30 seconds.
- Add the white wine, and cook until reduced by half. Turn off the saute function.
Shrimp Scampi Only - No pasta
- Add in the frozen shrimp, Old Bay seasoning, and ½ cup of chicken broth. Toss to coat. Add an extra ½ cup of chicken broth if more sauce is desired.
- Cook on high pressure for 4-minutes followed by a quick relase.
Adding the optional pasta
- If cooking with pasta, break the pasta in half. Add on top of the white wine sauce reduction in a criss cross pattern. Add the frozen shrimp with then sprinkle the Old Bay Seasoning on top. Pour three cups of broth on top, but DO NOT stir.
- Cook on high pressure for 4-minutes followed by a controlled quick release
Finishing the Shrimp Scampi
- Add the juice of ½ of a lemon and the parsley to the pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute, and add the cornstarch slurry to thicken if desired.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!