Last Updated on August 20, 2019 by Tina
This recipe for cosmic brownies bites is a fudgy delight coated in a thick chocolate ganache then sprinkled with mini M&M’s! Can you say yum? This is a fun way to celebrate the kids going back to school this year. This would be a great dessert to go with my Instant Pot Cheesy Ziti (Johnny Marzetti).
What are cosmic brownies?
Cosmic Brownies were introduced under the Little Debbie snack cake brand owned my McKee Foods in the early 1960s. Little Debbie is actually a real person, the granddaughter of company founder O.D. McKee, and current executive vice president of this corporation. The cosmic cupcake a cousin to the cosmic brownie was actually sent to space in 2014 by weather balloon!
Prep the batter for cosmic brownie bites
In a large bowl combine the brownie box mix, chocolate syrup, eggs, oil (I used olive oil), chocolate chips, and milk. Stir by hand to combine well.
Cooking the cosmic brownie bites
Grease the inside of a silicone egg bite tray very well. I used olive oil and a brush. Fill each cup leaving about 1/4″ of space at the top. Cover lightly with foil.
Put one cup of water into the Instant Pot. Place the rack with the egg bite mold on top of it into the pressure cooker. Seal and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack. This recipe should make about 12 brownie bites. Repeat this process for the remaining cosmic brownie bites.
Frosting and finishing the cosmic brownie bites
Once cooled completely remove from the silicone egg bite trays. To make them have a flat bottom if they are curved or domed on top just slice that little bit off, and have a quick snack!
For the chocolate ganache topping combine the remaining chocolate chips, and the heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan over low heat stir with a small whisk or spoon until melted and creamy. If needed you can thin by adding additional heavy cream or thicken if needed with additional chocolate chips. The perfect time to do this would be while the brownie bites are baking.
If you want the brownie bite completely covered with ganache you can spread the ganache on the plate then set each one on top. Pour the ganache on top to cover each bite.
You can sprinkle the mini M&M’s or any other candy coated chocolate pieces or you get the kids so they can have fun decorating them too!
Cool and harden in the fridge or eat immediately. If they last that long store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week!
Instant Pot Fudgy Cosmic Brownie Bites
Brownie Batter Mix
- 16 ounces brownie mix or one box
- 1/3 cup oil I used olive oil, use what the box recipe calls for
- 2 eggs or twice the number called for on the box
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp milk or substitute the same amount of water for milk called for on the box
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup candy coated chocolate pieces use your discretion, decorate as much as you find yummy
- Mix together in a large bowl all of the ingredients in the Brownie Batter Mix Group. Grease the silicone egg bite tray very well, and fill leaving about 1/4" at the top. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Add one cup of water to the pressure cooker, and put the silicone egg bite tray in on top of your rack. Seal and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes then follow up with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Remove to a wire rack, and cool completely then remove. Put the remainder of batter in another egg bite tray and repeat the process.
- For the ganache topping, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan then stir until melted.
- Remove brownie bites from trays and frost with chocolate ganache frosting, and then decorate with candy. Cool in fridge for a few minutes to harden.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week. These are great on their own or served with ice cream.