Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs are an easy Instant Pot recipe you can cook for the whole family in 30 minutes. A delicious meal using your favorite BBQ sauce that you can finish with the oven broiler for crispy skin. Serve these chicken legs as a simple dinner or an appetizer for a crowd.
Why this works
- Quick - this is the easiest way to make BBQ chicken drumsticks that are ready to go very quickly! Pair these with some cheesy ranch potatoes and broccoli for a complete meal. This is definitely my new favorite way to make chicken legs with minimal effort!
- Kid-friendly - everyone loves juicy chicken legs, and even your pickiest eater will rave over these Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs as much as they might with my Salisbury steak recipe.
- Simple ingredients - one of the great things about this chicken drumstick recipe is it just takes a few basic ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need. Scroll down to the recipe card, where you'll find exact measurements.
- Chicken legs- you can make as many drumsticks as can fit into the Instant Pot up to the fill line with the same amount of water.
- Chicken rub - you can make your own or your favorite store-bought dry rub.
- Chicken stock - you can make your own broth or buy some from the store.
- BBQ sauce - be sure to use your favorite barbecue sauce for this recipe.
How to make this
Put the drumsticks in a large bowl. Sprinkle the BBQ rub over the chicken legs, and toss to coat.
Place the rack inside the pot, and pour in the chicken broth. Layer the chicken legs evenly into the Instant Pot.
Seal and close lid of the Instant Pot. Cook on manual high pressure for 15 minutes and then follow with a 5-minute natural pressure release.
Once the pressure has been released from the Instant Pot, remove the pressure cooker lid once the remaining pressure has been released. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes.
Arrange the cooked chicken legs on a baking sheet in a single layer. Brush the legs with BBQ sauce to coat them evenly.
Cook in the oven on broil for about 5-10 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the skin has become a little crispy.
The sauce and broiling step are completely optional for these Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs as they can be eaten as is straight from the Instant Pot.
If you don't have a trivet for your pot, then you can use aluminum foil crushed into balls on the bottom of the pot to make your own trivet when you make your Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken Legs.
Can you make these BBQ chicken legs from frozen?
You can make these from frozen chicken legs by adding 5 minutes to the pressure cooking time. Instead of 15 minutes of high pressure, you will be cooking at 20 minutes of high-pressure time followed by the 5-minute pressure release time.
Usually, you can fit 2-24 chicken legs in the Instant Pot with no issues.
You likely have not cooked the chicken long enough. Cooking it longer would make it more tender or allow for a longer natural pressure release.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs are great for your summer cookout served with green beans, summer squash casserole, or garlic mashed potatoes. If you are serving this as part of an appetizer table, be sure to make some queso dip, BBQ meatballs, or toasted ravioli.
Storage & reheating
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container or bag for up to one week. These BBQ chicken drumsticks can be frozen for up to three months and then thawed in the refrigerator before reheating. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
How to video
Instant Pot chicken recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs
- 3 pounds chicken legs
- ½ cup BBQ rub
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- Place chicken legs into a large bowl. Coat the drumsticks in the BBQ run until well covered.
- Put the rack inside the Instant Pot. Pour in the chicken broth.
- Layer the seasoned chicken legs into the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes followed by a 5-minute natural pressure release.
- Once the pressure is released, remove the cooked chicken legs from the pot and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Brush the BBQ sauce onto the drumsticks until all sides are coated. Broil for about 5-10 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the skin has become crispy.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container or bag for up to one week. These can be frozen for up to three months and thawed in the refrigerator before reheating.
Don't forget to join our Facebook Group for Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes!